The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Going to be rebuilding. Need some suggestions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milby43

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2008
Laurel Springs, New_Jersey
Ok, So I will be doing a stock rebuild.
I have a 93 Eagle Talon AWD. Built in July of 92. That being said I have a 7 bolt. And I know that for sure, Ive had the fly wheel off before.

I just have a couple questions to clear up. Ive looked into it alot, and haven't got definite answers. And this isnt something that I feel comfortable with yet.

1. Is there a difference between 1g 7 bolts and 2g 7 bolts? From what I have read, and seen on parts websites, there's normally a selection from 93-95 then 96-99

2. Does my car have the 1g 7.8:1 pistons or the 2g higher compression? (8.0:1?)
- from what Ive read it seems I use the 1g smaller wrist pin?
- Does my engine use the 21mm wrist pin or the 2g 22mm wrist pin.

3. I stumbled across some threads on source, and tuners, about putting 6 bolt pistons on a 7 bolt crank. Is this possible? People were saying yes and no. If not where can I get good condition factory rods?

4. Where can I find stock rebuild parts. Ive seen thedsmgraveyard, and in my research they aren't very reputable. But has this changed? alot of the threads were older from years back. This car is mainly stock, I will be building a 6 bolt block on the side once this is back up and running.

5. For stock rebuild pistons...NPR or Top Line?
-I couldnt find actual new mitsubishi pistons, if you have a link...much appreciated.
-Can I use better rings for these? Like other brands of rings?

I tried to lay this out as organized as possible, I for one dont like walls of text. I hope I did a decent job LOL. ANY points of advice, or good-to-knows, are very appreciated!

I will be measuring everything (which I am very fluent with) when I get it apart, but thought before opening it up it would be good to know this stuff.

Thanks guys.
Andrew

What are the goals for the car, a budget do you have one use some npr pistons and ring setup up great for a oem, build have you not looked at any other places for parts. Grab some npr pistons from napa and rings under 200 bucks. Its coming down to your goal, there are parts everywhere for your car, rebuild what you have 6 bolt then do a 6 bolt build. Whats wrong with the rods you have, have them reconditioned at the machine shop, toss some pistons on them and your ready to go.

It has the 1g pistons 7.8cr.

You should be able to reuse the stock rods and pistons. Tear the block down and drop it off at a machine shop. See if the rods can be reconditioned and if your pistons are good and if your piston to wall clearance will be good to reuse the stockers.

Hastings rings are a good high quality ring to use.

A 1g 7 bolt block has the squirters like a 6 bolt block and the 7 bolt main girdle.

Both TopLine and EngineTech pistons are reboxed NPR pistons, There are 2 different 7 bolt pistons, the difference is mainly the oil scraper ring the early pistons have a 3.0mm and the later have a 2.8mm IIRC

Now some will cut down the 6 bolt rod down to fit on the 7 bolt crank, due to the 6 bolt rods having a stronger beam than the 7 bolt.

For graveyard... just do a basic google search and read for yourself.

For rebuild parts, check the supporting vendors and supporting members, before you lay your cash out check the seller feed back on them.

What are the goals for the car, a budget do you have one use some npr pistons and ring setup up great for a oem, build have you not looked at any other places for parts. Grab some npr pistons from napa and rings under 200 bucks. Its coming down to your goal, there are parts everywhere for your car, rebuild what you have 6 bolt then do a 6 bolt build. Whats wrong with the rods you have, have them reconditioned at the machine shop, toss some pistons on them and your ready to go.

It will be a daily driver. Not going to max out my 16g. But want it to be fun. Wont be beat everyday or tracked. Just my daily with some oomph

It has the 1g pistons 7.8cr.

You should be able to reuse the stock rods and pistons. Tear the block down and drop it off at a machine shop. See if the rods can be reconditioned and if your pistons are good and if your piston to wall clearance will be good to reuse the stockers.

Hastings rings are a good high quality ring to use.

Thanks I will check them out. And I have the 7.8c, is it the 21mm or 22mm wrist pin?

A 1g 7 bolt block has the squirters like a 6 bolt block and the 7 bolt main girdle.

Both TopLine and EngineTech pistons are reboxed NPR pistons, There are 2 different 7 bolt pistons, the difference is mainly the oil scraper ring the early pistons have a 3.0mm and the later have a 2.8mm IIRC

Now some will cut down the 6 bolt rod down to fit on the 7 bolt crank, due to the 6 bolt rods having a stronger beam than the 7 bolt.

For graveyard... just do a basic google search and read for yourself.

For rebuild parts, check the supporting vendors and supporting members, before you lay your cash out check the seller feed back on them.

yea youre right I do have the squirters, And the different girdle. So would I want the thicker oil or think oil ring?

And cut down, as in for the rod side clearence right?

Yea, really dont want to go with graveyard LOL, ill keep checking classifieds, I have some time on my hands until its ready to be rebuilt. But thanks alot guys!

Right now, I'm leaning towards replacment NPR pistons, and reusing my rods if possible...or looking into the 6 bolt rods.

I wish there were aftermarket rods that could be used with stock pistons but I guess now. Because they are all floating wrist pins..

Can I use the 2g higher compression pistons, on my rods? On six bolt rods? Any work/machining to do it?

Thanks for the quick, intelligent responses!

EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

With these bearings...there's a size selection for standard with .001" oil clearance...Thats for say...my crank never been cut, not needing to be cut...but i want a larger clearance for thicker oil?

Where as the other options are if I got the crank cut, and i need thicker bearings for a stock clearance?

This store is only about a half hour away from me, and anything I get from them, I can pick up.
Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back