The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

gm maf/maft fitment?

Please Support Rix Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screwdgie

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 6, 2003
Barrington, Illinois
I am looking to get a 3" gm maf and maft in a blow-through setup. My question is, I have a dejon 2.5" w/abs uicp, will I be able to cut some off my uicp and fit the gm maf in there? Also, where can i get 3" to 2.5" couplers?

Thanks,
Shane

This is the delima i'm in right now too. A friend of mine has a brother that works for compcams, and can get GM MAS's for free. But i also have a dejon uicp and don't wanna spend the extra to get a "blowthrough" uicp. And like said above, the only thing i can think of is to hack the pipe and get it beadrolled, BUT, i don't know how well beadrolling would do with the dejon powdercoating.

If you are west of the big Mississippi go to www.hightempsilicone.com or east to www.verociousmotorsports.com
Just get some Gorilla glue or a 2 part epoxy and use that to make the bead, simple and no bending pipe. Just a few drops strategically placed will work to hold those couplers in place. I bought the Dejon upper pipe that is designed to hold the GM MAF. I also use 3" couplers, a bit tougher than 3.25" but they will fit on.
TIP: Get the extended harnesses and have the translator in the cabin and not under the hood, well worth the cost. I ran mine just above the shifter cables. Took off a piece from the inside where the cables go thrpough the firewall, 2 bolts hold it on. Then drilled a hole about 3/8" or a bit more just above the cables. You have to remove some of the heater and trim pieces but it gives a clean install with the Translator sitting right below the radio on the console. I have the wires come into the console and out right around the plastic "U" shaped piece at the front of the console that covers the 3 nuts that hold the front of the consloe in. Very clean and handy. You will be malking adjustments to the Translator with changes in boost, humidity, temps and other weather related factors and not having to stop the car and pop the hood and ,make a change and then test it is as they say "priceless"! Mark
PS: Don't forget to get T-bolt clamps. They are usually .038" larger than the size pipe you are using, eg; 2.5" would need a 2.88" clamp. The people at verocious will help you out, great service. mark

or you could just buy a wire loom at radio shack and cut the maft harness and solder in the longer wires and save yourself about $15-$20

so i guess when i get this all, i'm not going to hack into the elbow, but hack the pipe further back right before the TB elbow. Anyone have a length of the GM mas so i can start figuring out how much i will need to hack out of the uicp for a clean fit? I assume i will want to hack out a little bit more pipe than the mas is long.

staticbrainwash said:
so i guess when i get this all, i'm not going to hack into the elbow, but hack the pipe further back right before the TB elbow. Anyone have a length of the GM mas so i can start figuring out how much i will need to hack out of the uicp for a clean fit? I assume i will want to hack out a little bit more pipe than the mas is long.
Overall length is 3 5/8" (3.625 or 92mm). Then I'd guess you'd want to cut it back to where the taper in the reducer starts on either end.

Does anyone know where i can find a 3" gm maf cheap (other than ebay)?

For those of you 1g'ers with the 14b and maf/maft setup, how much spool time/horsepower would you say you gained?

screwdgie said:
Does anyone know where i can find a 3" gm maf cheap (other than ebay)?

For those of you 1g'ers with the 14b and maf/maft setup, how much spool time/horsepower would you say you gained?
I found mine in the trunk of a Beretta in a local boneyard, paid $10.00. Dunno if I'm going to use it since I learned of the constant fiddling they seem to require. WTF

staticbrainwash said:
They can't be that bad to use or tweak considering how many people use the blowthrough set-up.
I don't know yet. Past projects have gotten out of hand (not fun anymore) due to "its only a little p.i.t.a." compounding into a collective giant p.i.t.a. More research is needed to make that decision.

WOA, how are you spending 60 bucks on 2 reducers?

You all should check into the new maft GEN2. It's better than a safc, with all the same fun maft perks. I think that might be what i get when i pick up a gm mas.

either way you look at it the 3'' gm maf is actually 3.125''. if you don't want to struggle with putting the couplers on then go with the 3.25''.

Back on topic, I need to do the same thing (cutting the UICP to fit my GM MAF + couplers on). I was concerned about beading the pipes. I have Gorilla Glue, but didn't know it could be used like this... Do they havta be huge drops, or just normal size?

PS - I bought my GM MAF from a U-Pull-It junkyard for $10. If you go this route, just make sure all the little springs and internals are in tact or it won't work.

Good lord, both of you shut up. If 3" couplers worked for him, awesome. 3" couplers are ment to be fit around 3" INSIDE DIAMETER pipes. Therefore, why couldn't it work.

Just get what you feel is right, or if you have a major question about them contact the company about it. And ask them, i'm sure they will be able to point you in the right direction.

But seriously, 3" couplers fit 3" ID pipes therefore alotting for pipe thickness. ALL COMPANIES work this way.

DROP IT.

Eh, I fit 3-2.5" couplers on my 3" GM MAS. Tight fit, took a little effort, doubt I could get them off again. And I know they're true 3-2.5" couplers, because I didn't bother to mention what they were for, and the boxes they came in listed them as 3"-2.5" silicone reducers.

I have a slight off-brand UICP based on the Dejon... just slightly different bend angles. I hadn't realized how long the couplers ended up making the MAS, and with measuring cannot trim the piping back enough to fit, without relocating the BOV flange a bit closer to the SMIC outlet. Bit of a pain, as I don't want to shell out $200 or so for the Dejon blowthrough pipe, when I'm already saving up for an FMIC and short-route piping. :b

I use 3" over my MAF and it is a tight fit but once on it only takes a worm gear clamp to hold it! A few seconds in some hot water can help but not long or it will deteriorate the coupler. Add a bit of lube to it also if needed. A butter knife can be the final tool needed to help guide the coupler over the MAF. I use Hightempsilicone.com products sold east of the Mississippi by verociousmotorsports.com Both nice people. mark

I've deleted all your of your little comments. Alot of people have used both size couplers. No need for name calling and sarcasm.

screwdgie said:
I am looking to get a 3" gm maf and maft in a blow-through setup. My question is, I have a dejon 2.5" w/abs uicp, will I be able to cut some off my uicp and fit the gm maf in there? Also, where can i get 3" to 2.5" couplers?

Thanks,
Shane

yes, in order to do this at minimal cost get a hold of a sawzaw and some gm maf couplers and tbolt/worm clamps. Worm clamps have worked for me at 25 psi.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back