1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

GHS GXS- Cylinders 2&3 dead, but why...?

Posted by gijoe985, Feb 21, 2019

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. gijoe985

gijoe985 Proven Member

Joined Dec 13, 2007
    Grandview, Washington
    Hello All,

I wanted to make a new thread for a new problem.

You can follow some of our old stuff HERE

Current situation-
    6bolt block, 2ga head, DSMlink v2.

When the car is running (1500rpm is where it stays), I can pull the injector harness off for cylinders 2 or 3 with little to no change in the operation of the engine. RMPs stay constant.

We have verified timing (though tomorrow I will check that yet again)
    Swapped inner with outer injectors with no change.
    Noid light shows signal to the injectors.
    We have spark at each cylinder.
    We have 160psi of compression on all 4 cylinders.

I think I've covered my "why doesn't my engine work 101" bases.

Thoughts?

1K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. talonesi95t

talonesi95t Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 5, 2009
    prosser, Washington
    Have you had the injectors flow tested? I would ohm them out and see if there in spec. Ive read some of your past threads, if its been sitting for long, the gas is probably not the best and maybe some junk in the lines clogged up injectors 2 and 3 is my guess.

3. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    How did you test spark? Light or did you actually pull a plug and have a look? After cranking pull the plugs and smell them. All 4. Which ones smell like gas? If 2 and 3 smell like gas I'd say injectors are working but spark isn't. Alternately if they don't smell like gas and you verify spark the noid light may not be telling you everything.

Street Build 2K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. Hickory-NC-2Ggsx

Hickory-NC-2Ggsx Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2018
    Lincolnton, North Carolina
    Did you use a 1g cam angle sensor and wire it up right? Because the 6 bolt block doesnt have a crank sensor as far as i remember. Some one correct me if im wrong.

Street Build 207  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. gijoe985

gijoe985 Proven Member

Joined Dec 13, 2007
    Grandview, Washington
    The problem is when we swapped the #2&3 with the 1&4, the scenario was the exact same. So, regardless of flow, that should eliminate a totally plugged injector.

I actually pulled the plug wire and watched it spark. And I compared the spark on 2&3 with #4 and they all looked equally powerful.

True point that the noid light could be giving us a weird signal. But it all looks the same across the board. I wonder if swapping the #2 and #3 injector wires would make any difference at all?

Maybe it's just fouled spark plugs in those cylinders! I know I have seen spark plugs foul out, yet not look fouled. We could try swapping plugs...

We have a Kiggly Racing crank sensor on it. So that is solved.

1K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  6. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    I sitll say smell it. See if you're actually getting fuel in 2 and 3. Longshot but did you check the valve actuation for those cylinders? Missing or broken lifter/rocker? Quick visual would tell you that everything is opening. Given we have waste spark with 1/4 and 2/3 being pairs did you ohm out the coil on 2 and 3? Lastly have you checked the ignition module? I've seen those give trouble with one or both pairs of coils. Multimeter should point you in the right direction quickly.

Street Build 2K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  7. gijoe985

gijoe985 Proven Member

Joined Dec 13, 2007
    Grandview, Washington
    SPARK PLUGS!!!

Oye... sometimes it is so easy to overlook things. I forgot that we had a no spark issue on 2&3 (like 1.5 years ago) and it must have fouled those plugs.

1K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  8. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    so it's running now?

Street Build 2K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. Hickory-NC-2Ggsx