The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Getting The OEM Fan To Fit Where You Thought Only a Slim Fan Could

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I upgraded my radiator to a Koyo radiator and soon realized the thicker core no longer would allow me to use the stock fan on the drivers side as it was hitting my 20g actuator and lower heat shield bolts.

There are slim fans out there but the OEM fan is still the best option for airflow and reliability. It even has a shroud that draws air into the electric motor to keep it cool. It was actually designed to be next to a hot turbo.. if only there was a way to use it :) Well, it turns out there is a simple way to get an additional 1/2" of clearance with some simple modification.

Materials
  • 3" inches of -10 hose
  • 3 small fender washers

Tools
  • Drill bits
  • Grinder
  • Recipricating Saw or Hack Saw
  • Die grinder or Dremel with cutting burs

The stand-offs actually keep the drivers side fan pretty far from the radiator with a large gap on the sides and a huge gap top and bottom. It is nowhere near being a decent seal to the radiator. This mod' actually improves this seal.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

First, Using a die grinder or dremel, enlarge the mounting holes on the top of the shroud so that they loosely slip over the stand-offs on the radiator.

Trim the shroud sides with a recipricating saw or hack saw and cleanup with a grinder.

Open the bottom, passenger-side mounting slot to fit over the bottom stand-off mount.

Flatten the bottom, drivers side mounting tab on the shroud. You will also need to lengthen the slot about 1/4"

Now test fit the fan. It should now slide over all the mounting stand-offs and be close to but not touching the radiator fins.

Once you are satisfied with the fit, cut a piece of hose that will fit over the stand-off and extend about 1/16" beyond the end of the stand-off. I had some extra -10 pushlock hose that worked perfect for this.

Now place your fender washer over the end and tighten down with your stock mounting bolts. You should get a little bit of squish on the hose line to keep the shroud mounted tight.

Mounted up. Not only does it fit but the shroud is now also a much tighter seal to the radiator.

That's it. Enjoy your OEM cooling fan where only a slim fan would fit before.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back