1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Getting Fuel and Spark, Won't Turn Over, No Fuel In Return Line

Posted by femmeDSM, May 21, 2005

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    OK, here's the deal. haha.

First off, let me state that this is NOT my car (yet) -- so unfortunately I can't give much more info than this right now.....If you need any further info, let me know & I can try to get it.

I am seriously considering buying a '90 GSX as a project car, but it is plagued with a problem that doesn't seem to be easily solved (typical DSM stuff, eh?).
    I've checked around and asked in a couple diff. forums but so far I'm still not clear on what could be causing this (neither is the current owner of the car).

Basically, the car is getting spark and fuel but is not starting -- fuel is getting to the engine but when you pull the return hose, it's dry.

So far, the ECU has been replaced, along with the Fuel Pump, Fuel Rail and Injectors. Original ECU went bad (almost caught on fire. haha -- details below) and was accidentally replaced w/ a 91+ ECU, which obviously didn't work. Replaced again, and fuel pump will now turn on....And that's where we're at right now.

The engine was rebuilt ~9K miles ago and ran fine before this problem. From what I understand, the problem started originally when an alternator went south due to a PS leak...This somehow screwed up the ECU, and this is when the fuel probs started.

Parts replaced so far include: ECU, Alternator, Batter, MPI Relay, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Valve Cover Gasket, PS Pump Seals, & Injectors.

So where do I go from here?
    Basically, I am planning on buying the car if the problem is not in the engine block. I can't think of anything offhand that would go wrong w/ the block that would cause this sort of prob....Seems more likely to be electrical in some way (maybe not, though -- could literally be anything as far as I know).

Also, not sure if this is related at all, but the Fuel Gauge also does not work. (??)

I know enough about DSMs to replace a fuel system and an ECU if need be, but I don't know much about wiring/complex electrical stuff or overhauling, so that part would be beyond me....

Can anyone offer any advice? basically I just need to know (kind of) what I'm getting myself into, here.
    haha

Thanks in advance. Sorry this got long-winded. ha.

2. rollingrust

rollingrust Proven Member

Joined Apr 17, 2005
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Just a guess, but maybe the injector resistor pack?