The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Getting a 97 Talon TSI AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jraida

Probationary Member
Feb 3, 2005
Embarrass/Mankato, Minnesota
Well, a few months ago I sold my 92 Talon 2.0 NT after it hit 180K on it. And I am currently driving a loaded 95 Contour SE 2.5L V6 MTX. While it is currently at almost 170K it purrs like it is almost brand new and is a very fun car to drive. But it is going to need two new wheel bearings and rear brake rotars and pads. So, while driving around looking at dealerships I stopped at one and they asked what type of car I was looking for and I said a DSM would be really nice, knowing that they get them in from time to time. It happened to be that they were picking one up at auction the next day. So a few days later I stopped by again and it was sitting there, a 97 Talon TSI AWD MTX. So, I ask the dealer if I can check it out and everything and he says sure but there is no clutch in it right now so I can't take it for a spin. The can on the outside was in good shape with only one 2 inch sractch near the key hole (with the key hole missing DOH). And on the inside it was a little bit of ware to it for an almost 10 year old car that has 110K on it. Moonroof, power windows and locks, cruise, it had everything I was looking for. Also the previous owner put in piller guages for a better boost guage and an air/fuel meter. That makes me a little worried that he beat on it, or it could also mean he cared as to how the car ran. It is getting a new clutch and slave cylinder as we speak and I told the guys to do a compression check on the cyliners and head gasket. I am a little concerned also about crankwalk and if the turbo has any play in it. I absolutly love this car but what are things I should look out for and how can I tell if it is starting to develop crankwalk and if the turbo is dying. Thanks

well you shouldnt be too worried about crankwalk...as the 97+ motors might have been built with different parts than the infamous "crankwalk" cranks (95-96).
anyhow..you should be more concerned about how the car shifts..what noises it makes that its not susposed to (clunks and rattles) and check to see if any fluids are leaking or burning as thats more important than being overwhelmed with anxiety that your crank will start to walk. which it wont. if it does it will happen in another 100,000 miles...or if you beat the piss out of it and the crank lasts longer than the block. :nono:
just make sure it is a solid car that your not going to have to dump in $$$$$.
the dsm rule is that if it costs $3000 you are going to have to put another $3000 into it to make it a daily driving and strong running car. good luck man. :thumb:

Crankwalk will be very easy to check for if they are putting a new clutch in it. Ask the dealer to check the play in the flywheel for you and see how much it has. With 110k miles crankwalk is pretty well out of the question. It is something that happen's within the first 70-80k miles USUALLY. As far as shaft play you can just take the intake off of the turbo during a test drive alone or something and check it's in and out and side to side movement. Or if it is a really nice dealership they may take it off for you and let you look at it since the intake has to come off anyways to do the clutch. Other than that just make sure the transmission shifts good, which a 2g should, and take it out and give it a little bit of a beating to make sure everything is up to operating form.

***As for hereitcomes post...95-96 weren't the worst years for crankwalk. 97 was the worst year so far. Especially with a manual transmission. Automatic rarely walk. 98 got a little better and by 99 they still had cases of it but they were few and far between. But like I said before with 110k it isn't really a factor anymore.***

cool beans. I think they are also putting in a new flywheel as well now that you mention it. They think the previous owner had a high performance clutch and flywheel in it and they took it out before the insurance company got it. They said that it was salvaged because of hail damage but we couldn't find anything of the sort on it.

Sounds like a good deal. How much are they going to be asking for it?

They said I could take the car off their lot the way it was for $3500 or pay around $5000 for it if they fix it. They also said that isn't a "Fixed" price, I can try talking them down but if the engine is toast and the need to put a new one is they will have to go up to around $7000.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back