The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

FWD vs AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuning Spirit

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2008
Brampton, Ontario_Canada
Hey there, I was just wondering what the difference in handling characteristics was between the AWD 1G and FWD 1G. What I wanted to know was if thee AWD or FWD has more understeer (before and after LSDs) and if the FWD can keep up with the AWD on track with the same basic modifications being done. This is important to me as I have a FWD (working) and an AWD (junk) and I want to know if I should get another AWD.

this thread may get a little ugly. go with awd for one reason, mad traction

it's like saying if you rather tune up a lancer or upgrade an old gen Evo. AWD mean all wheels are at work not the front two.. LOL I'm always a fan of AWD but i have a FWD so sucks yeah? you can make FWD drive fast. espeially with the Eclipse's since they can fit the turbo system from an EVO!!! amazing. i love my eclipse but AWD is always better. ;pROFLROFLROFL

AWD has a superior launch and handles the curves better.
FWD has less weight, less shit to break, and carries more fuel.

I prefer AWD - but do whatever you want.

Its all this or that.

60' AWD
Past the 1/4th FWD
Traction AWD
Weight FWD

Reliablity FWD

blah blah blah blah blah

Find out what you want. I.e More Traction or less weight, hell first find out what you want to do first.

thanks people, the help is much appreciated. But another question now, what is the FWD 1G good for then, beyond being cheaper to maintain and better for long-distance trips?

AWD understeers even worse than the FWD... it's small trade-off though, expecially if you're good at tuning suspensions

AWD is the reason I mess with these heaps... well that and the cost

FWD - less drivetrain, so you can make more power same mods.
FWD - Better mpg
FWD - Less Weight
FWD - 2 Slicks not 4.

Lol... there are pro's and cons all over.

Theres a video rolling around of a T25 + Nos 2g running 10's FWD.

AWD > FWD cause of traction.. But RWD hook fine??

I think FWD with proper work will > AWD soon.

But dont flame me just thinking.

I've owned both,but im not gonna take sides.The one thing i did'nt like was the stock rear suspension on the fwd.:notgood:

Wow, thanks for the great response guys. You really helped out here. My last deciding factor is if the 4G64 bottom end would bolt up to an AWD driveline. If it does, I'm buying another AWD. If not, I'll save my money. This will probably help a couple other people trying to figure this one out too.

Sorry I know I'm getting quite off topic here, but I really appreciate the help.

1g front wheel drive has the same rear setup you would find on a Mini van of the same time period very bad setup but it can be made to go strait and fast without breaking but tracking it to a good level that a base AWD already is will cost some $$$ and not really worth it.....

2g FWD is different since they have better setup rear suspension....

just to throw my opinion in, i'd say that fwd is better overall. BUT, if you plan on making your car extremely fast, then you HAVE to go with awd. it'll be a lot less money once you enter the 11s range. but if you just want a decently fast car that gets good mileage (daily driver) then fwd is the way to go. but like i said, when you start spending serious money, awd kicks butt.

first of all like stated above what do you want to do with the car??? second of all go to the quarter mile times and see all the awd.... right now look at the fwd.... just about every joe in this country can make a awd go down the track now can the average joe do it in a fwd.... but are you even looking for a track car??? decide that first then let us now fwd are cheaper to buy off the start think about it

1g front wheel drive has the same rear setup you would find on a Mini van of the same time period very bad setup but it can be made to go strait and fast without breaking but tracking it to a good level that a base AWD already is will cost some $$$ and not really worth it.....

2g FWD is different since they have better setup rear suspension....

when it comes to corners the AWD is faster, but the FWD 1G does not drive that bad at all! (btw. I`m using H&R springs and koni shocks.. never tried stock ones!)
So if you want to have a nice highway, roadcar I would choose an FWD.

But if all you need is a dragstrip: traction is everything!

I`m driving a FWD (in germany its nearly impossible to get AWD drivetrainparts), traction at the road is not "good" but better than I execepted.
but you will hate rainy days... if you do a few mods its no big deal to spin the tires while doing 100mph in 5. gear.
Anyway, if you are "streetdriving" the car and be able to adjust the gas: Its fun! also with the right suspension understeer is not that bad at all.

When your "racing" on tracks you should also get AWD or an good LSD, because after a sharp corner you can`t nail it with an non LSD FWD so here an AWD should be faster.

i like both, ive had both.

i like fwd because i was always breaking cv shafts, and i had mad torque steer along with mad burnouts.

i like awd because i cant keep control in the snow and i bend control arms, transmissions are huge, 5 more parts to break than a fwd, , awd's dont get traction very well for the most part unless the ground is dry.

-jordan

Cool, I see AWD is the way to go, and I bet alot of readers of this thread are learning something here. But for anyone out there who might have misunderstood me, When I said track I meant circuit, but I guess track means something different to DSMers. So is there any hope for a FWD circuit car? Or should I keep it as a daily driver?

I love my FWD for highway pulls. From a dig, AWD definitely. From a roll, a decent FWD with sticky tires is a lot of fun. Torque steer is pretty intense, too :p But if you build a reckless AWD, you'll overcome the top-end loss of AWD and just be fast as piss.

Cool, I see AWD is the way to go, and I bet alot of readers of this thread are learning something here. But for anyone out there who might have misunderstood me, When I said track I meant circuit, but I guess track means something different to DSMers. So is there any hope for a FWD circuit car? Or should I keep it as a daily driver?

With the right suspension and tires you should be fine. I don't think AWD would have that big an impact in circuit racing. Drag racing is another story though. For what its worth an AWD and FWD making the same power at the flywheel will differ by about 40 ponies at the wheels because of the extra drivetrain loss. I could see that being more of a benefit in circuit racing than being able to launch from a dead stand still at 4500rpm and still have traction.

Question is: how fast do you want to be? As soon as your not producing 300+hp I guess traction is good, maybe use an LSD and a good suspension setup. Even if the rear susp. is very outdated, In my opinion it still does a great job.

I think a good tuned FWD could be faster on the circuit, would not bet on the either.
If I would build an circuit car, it would be an FWD.

i love my FWD

i have driven AWD not for me

i have done 45 around a 90 degree in my fwd no oversteer or understeer

in AWD i have done 45 around the SAME 90 and i had understeer

and i spun a little bit around the hairpin right after that but other than that AWD is CRAP!!!! to me atleast

i just didnt have a good expierence with it

im guessing its just the driver and personal preference which mine is FWD

awd's dont get traction very well for the most part unless the ground is dry.

Traction is stellar in the AWD, so long as you have the right tires. I'd much rather have the GSX in an area that gets the 4 seasons. I have a set of studded tires for the winter and boy does it ever grab... it's like cat paws, got rid of my 96' N/T for that reason... among others.

:dsm:GSX:thumb:

I may as well give the pony a lickin' for the sake of this OLD topic.
:beatentodeath:

Everyone has an opinion - mine - well I converted a Spyder to AWD.....

With FWD and a few mods, no lsd, When I jumped on the gas the torque steer always bothered me. I mean passing on a 2 lane, when it is wet with FWD, will put the fear of the lord into you. With AWD, it always feels positive and sure footed.

FWD you can smoke your front tires - if you can keep them from hopping. AWD it is hard to even break them loose, it just throws you back into the seat.

As far as cornering, I can not say. With fwd It cornered good but....
When I did my AWD conversion, I also added RM sway bars - absolutely no comparison, my car now handles a LOT better than it did fwd.

i love my FWD

i have driven AWD not for me

i have done 45 around a 90 degree in my fwd no oversteer or understeer

in AWD i have done 45 around the SAME 90 and i had understeer

That's also my experience, except AWD is for me...

Aside from how the FWD suspension looks , the FWD 1g's have excellent rear suspensions with very little understeer. Those extremely long control arms plant the tires through turns, and also help eliminate bump steer.

The AWD has very bad understeer, just like 99% of AWD vehicles, and has a hard time cornering...

...but oh, the feeling of AWD through the turns, and the traction at any speed... with some tuning you can make it turn on a dime... I wouldn't ever trade it for a FWD.
Besides, I think the Germans have FWD nailed... not too impressed with Japanese FWD handling characteristics

I think the FWD would do better with Autocrossing, while the AWD is better at everything else.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back