The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Fuel Pump Won't Engage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyline-Tweak

Proven Member
Nov 11, 2012
Kunkletown, Pennsylvania
So just the other day I get my car to start. It ran fine, no awkward sounds. Next day I go to start it up and the fuel pump won't engage. The car itself still tries to crank over but its not getting any gas. I replaced the Fuel Pump Relay on the firewall and still nothing when turned to the on position. Does anyone know if there's a fuse or a reset or kill switch somewhere in the car? I also read somewhere about a Fuel Pump Rewire. I don't believe mine is rewired but I can't find the original wiring diagram for it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that you fuel pump isn't coming on, but for a crank no start condition I always start with the basics. Check for spark and fuel then go from there. If you still think the fuel pump isn't coming on then I would search around for the wiring diagram. Look at the fuel pump circuit and check for power and ground at the pump.

Do you have tuning software? Link will let you turn it on to set base fuel pressure. Could take off the fuel rail feed line and have someone hold a cup to catch any fuel in and turn the car on for a second. Poor mans way to test if you must.

The fuel pump is not supposed to run when the key is turned to the on position.. when you start cranking, that's when the pump turns on. If you're really suspecting pump failure and you don't have link, like stated above, disconnect the fuel rail line and crank the car. I suppose you can jump the fuel pump relay as well and listen for operation of the pump

Marchev is correct, you will have to crank the car for the pump to operate, or try to operate. Thanks for the correction. :thumb:

I figured out the problem. It was a blown 30A fuse in the engine bay for the Engine Moteur. Thanks for all your help guys.

If I were you, and I've been there, I would put a couple extra ones in the glove box until you find out why it is blowing them. Check your wires as much as you can for shorts to ground, and good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back