The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Fuel Pump Supply Line Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffwithaG

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2017
Flemington, New_Jersey
As a preface; I've spent a decent amount of time undoing the half assed/shoddy work of the prior owner, so this shouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, I've been troubleshooting some fueling issues and picked up a Walbro 190 for a good price for my GSX. I had hoped to have it swapped in the next couple days (I have about an hour of free time after work, dinner, kid, etc.). I've reviewed the VFAQ and felt solid to swap it out.

I pulled the seat, popped off the cover and the fuel supply line looks... wrong. Its just a mangled rubber hose held on with a worm style clamp. All of the other images I've seen show the big flare nut with a different (and correct) connector. I am assuming the prior owner attempted to remove the supply line from the top, broke it and put it back together this way.

How boned am I for getting this fixed? Do I need a new assembly? I had planned on removing the bottom line and pulling everything out through the top. Could this be causing me to bleed fuel pressure? I am assuming it would not be wise to leave it this way? I have not noticed any fuel smell and I didnt see any signs of a leak (but I dont drive the car often).

Below is the damage. Any NJ DSMers want to come drink a beer and cry with me?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As long as those lines aren’t leaking, it’s not a big deal imo. I’d replace the damaged hose and the worn clamps with fuel line clamps. Also want to make sure those hoses are safe for fuel.

When are you loosing pressure? Do you have an afpr? Mine bleeds down to zero after 30 minutes or so after shutting off. I’ve looked into this when I first got my car and read that the walbro 255 have check valves that leak. Another source could be leaky injectors if you don’t see any leaks.

Eh you should leave it and sell it to me haha

You currently have the flared fitting on there, thats the part of the oem line that siezes and usually twists the metal line going into the sending unit. If you wanna put your 190 in go ahead, I’d probably buy some new high pressure hose since that one in the pics is breaking down. I went through this myself and didn’t feel comfortable with that but since yours is already set up like that and didn’t blow up, then maybe you’ll get lucky ?

Eh you should leave it and sell it to me haha

You currently have the flared fitting on there, thats the part of the oem line that siezes and usually twists the metal line going into the sending unit. If you wanna put your 190 in go ahead, I’d probably buy some new high pressure hose since that one in the pics is breaking down. I went through this myself and didn’t feel comfortable with that but since yours is already set up like that and didn’t blow up, then maybe you’ll get lucky ?

Haha, its rust free, or I would. I will keep trucking, the universe can just add this to my tab. I can't leave it as is, so I will either source a replacement or look into AN fittings.

Below is what I pulled out of the car. Its a Bosch pump, it's obviously been changed before but I'm not sure if its an OEM equivalent or some generic universal pump. It's completely missing the Cap, O-Ring and Spacer. Instead someone made a reducer out of various diameter rubber fuel line. Also, the big rubber gasket for the assembly is in rough shape. They also added several zip ties for some reason. I guess I am going to start looking for a whole new assembly. I would rather start fresh at this point.

Its really hard to find anyone with a 2G these days where that fuel line isn't seized onto the hanger fitting. My car was garage kept it's whole life and only has 60k and I couldn't get it off when I did my GSX swap. I ended up taking the hanger assembly to a local shop and they used a torch, heated it, and spun it off for free for me. I have torch too at home, but I was a little nervous doing it myself since it was a fuel related part. I agree with you, that hanger looks pretty hacked, I'd source a new one then build a new feed line using -AN fittings and line. In my build thread I posted pretty detailed steps of how I built my line, what parts I used, etc.

Here's a link to it, it might help you out: https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/techboys-99-4g63.516019/page-3

Its really hard to find anyone with a 2G these days where that fuel line isn't seized onto the hanger fitting. My car was garage kept it's whole life and only has 60k and I couldn't get it off when I did my GSX swap. I ended up taking the hanger assembly to a local shop and they used a torch, heated it, and spun it off for free for me. I have torch too at home, but I was a little nervous doing it myself since it was a fuel related part. I agree with you, that hanger looks pretty hacked, I'd source a new one then build a new feed line using -AN fittings and line. In my build thread I posted pretty detailed steps of how I built my line, what parts I used, etc.

Here's a link to it, it might help you out: https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/techboys-99-4g63.516019/page-3

Thanks for the link, looks great! I picked up a cap, o-ring, spacer and the big rubber gasket that goes under the plastic retaining ring, so I can get it back together and driveable while I source a decently priced replacement hanger. I was actually able to get the fuel line off the hanger on top and the threads are fine, which was a welcome surprise.

You do not need a new hanger, you just need a replacement OEM rubber hose to go from the hanger to the hard line under the car. the hose itself is available on its own. You should have no trouble getting the old rubber hose end off the hanger without twisting it off. Especially with it out of the car. I have cracked who knows how many without damaging.

I would not drive my car with a worm gear clamp on the pressure line like that long, if at all. PM if you need help getting it apart.

EDIT: missed your last post, great you got it apart. Now Im pretty sure that hose was OEM only and I had to order it, but I do vaguely remember ordering one on its own years ago.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back