1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Fuel Injector Flow Rate - Flow test VS Driving

Posted by ODDUWON, Dec 5, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. ODDUWON

ODDUWON Probationary Member

Joined Sep 29, 2018
    NORWALK, California
    Does the flow rate of a fuel injector change from what is measured in a flow test VS driving? Will the computer use 450cc, or will it take it up to a higher number? I don't have ECM LINK V3, yet.
    I just got my stock blue top 450cc injectors back from Fuel Injector Clinic and their test chart show my injectors averaging 480cc. Why is this number higher than the 450cc the 1G turbo fwd blue tops are identified as?
    They cleaned up well, looks like one was a bit clogged. The one with the 490cc rate also has a busted pintle cap.

upload_2019-12-5_9-26-58.png

Attached Files:

221  1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    You can't change it in the ECU unless you have tuning software, like ECMLink. Then you can adjust that. You COULD put on a 2g maf, and 560 Evo injectors and they USUALLY play well together but it is just a "trick" for the ECU, not really tuning it. That setup works pretty good with a small 16g turbo combination.

Street Build 4K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

653  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

481  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 689  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  3. Bleakley

Bleakley Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2017
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    The stock 450’s flow 480. Just like the stock Nissan JECS 555’s flowed ~600-615cc’s (ones I had flowed ~590cc’s).

They're still identified as 450’s and 555’s. Don’t worry about it man. You’re good.

Cracked PINTLES! (autocorrect, so help me god I’ll see you one day. And we’re gonna have a go...) are not good as you run the risk of them breaking and going in.
    I’ve used injectors like this, but it’s a Nono. Don’t do it.

Street Build 807  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
  4. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Injectors from the factory aren't matched nearly as well as aftermarket injectors, the factory ecu doesn't need them to flow all that close to each other vs aftermarket injectors, some of this is due to the factory running the smallest injector that they can get away with and this allows the factory ecu to run high enough minimum injector pulse-width to still make the car run well at idle/starting/warm up and still be able to achieve proper stoich air fuel ratio's out on the road at mid to upper throttle angles and do it at a low enough price point to still make money, what you are seeing is normal.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. ODDUWON

ODDUWON Probationary Member

Joined Sep 29, 2018
    NORWALK, California
    This. After finding out that the injector base makes the seal at the intake (red in pic below), and not the pintle cap, it makes more sense that a cracked pinlte could fall into the cylinder and end up on a fun ride through the turbo. Especially if the whole side is split like mine. I am going to order some replacements from injector-rehab.

upload_2019-12-9_11-55-35-png.png

221  1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM