The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Fuel cell location

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I see this is posted in the road race/autox section - is that for a reason? If so, I suggest you first take a look at the rules for whichever sanctioned racing you plan on participating in. They will have pretty clear info that will at least help you weed out some possibilities, assuming the class you want to participate in allows you to have one (e.g. putting the cell in the rear hatch area which would force you to build a firewall to separate it from the rest of the cabin).

Hmmm building a well rounded car but mostly autocross and road course. Never did auto cross and road couse stuff before. I f u got to the last page of my build thread u will see some of the changes i plan on making.

I see this is posted in the road race/autox section - is that for a reason? If so, I suggest you first take a look at the rules for whichever sanctioned racing you plan on participating in. They will have pretty clear info that will at least help you weed out some possibilities, assuming the class you want to participate in allows you to have one (e.g. putting the cell in the rear hatch area which would force you to build a firewall to separate it from the rest of the cabin).

Thanks.

Well, if you plan on competing, you might want to start thinking about what class you would fall into based on your modifications. Based on the updates in your other thread, you might have already pushed yourself into a fairly high class. Simple things as removing the air boxes under your dash will push you into one of the highest classes in SCCA, for example.

If not, I'd suggest taking a look at the general rules for both SCCA and NASA (and any other sanctions you think you might run in) and see what they have to say about fuel cells. Any time you run at one of these events, you'll be teched and they'll be looking for these types of things to make sure you're safe.

Here's the 2014 NASA CCR. Fuel cell rules (just generic club rules, not specific class rules) start on page 51 of the PDF, or page 39 if you're looking at the numbers at the bottom of each page.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

Well I'm think of removing the rear seat floor pan like the trunk pan and replacing with alluminum sheat like the rear. But instead of mouting it on top of the rails I, plan on mounting it on the bottom side of the rails to drop wieght and smooth out the bottom of the car.

You'll definitely want to mount it at or below the frame rails if you're doing the install in the rear of the car. You can weld in cross bars between the frame rails to mount the cell on.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's a few other threads to glance at.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/road-course-autocross/254026-fuel-cell-fire-wall-ideas-needed.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/road-course-autocross/244552-need-advice-fuel-cell.html

I havnt had the chance to read about yet. But is the fire wall needed for a open air car?

You'll definitely want to mount it at or below the frame rails if you're doing the install in the rear of the car. You can weld in cross bars between the frame rails to mount the cell on.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's a few other threads to glance at.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/road-course-autocross/254026-fuel-cell-fire-wall-ideas-needed.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/road-course-autocross/244552-need-advice-fuel-cell.html

Woof .. Thanks . I've been reading so much up dsm mods i havnt read up regs and requirements:ohdamn:

The firewall is needed because the rules state the cell needs to be isolated from the passenger cabin. Since our cars (not sure if this applies to Spyders, but will to yours since you said you're cutting all that stuff out) have no real divider between the passenger cabin and the hatch area, you'd need to build something to conform to these rules.

I was reading some of the rules before mt phone gave out becuase of a lack of memory,, haha. Thier went my lunch break reading. Will have to down load on the computer tonight.

Well thanks to all u guys and a lot of reading , I think I have most of the parts needef for my build except fuel delivery and placment, cage design, tires, batery relocation, safety stuff.

The firewall is needed because the rules state the cell needs to be isolated from the passenger cabin. Since our cars (not sure if this applies to Spyders, but wisince you said you're cutting all that stuff out) have no real divider between the passenger cabin and the hatch area, you'd need to build something to conform to these rules.

I've always wondered if you used a bladder style fuel cell if they'd require any firewall in these cars. Since the metals only purpose is to protect the inner bladder which holds the fuel, it is essentially the same thing.

I've always wondered if you used a bladder style fuel cell if they'd require any firewall in these cars. Since the metals only purpose is to protect the inner bladder which holds the fuel, it is essentially the same thing.

If you look at the link I posted above to the NASA rules (as an example), you'll see they require a metal/Marlex surround for the bladder, with specific wall thickness based on material used, in addition to a firewall (also referred to as a bulkhead).

Note that I think you can get away with a metal cover/lid over the top of the fuel cell if it's mounted below the rear floor instead of building a full firewall between the two rear shock towers. Just as long as it encloses all of the necessary fuel components they mention.

When turning is a consideration you never want mass in front of the front wheels and behind the rear wheels. Put the fuel cell where the right rear passenger seat used to be. It will offset the drivers weight slightly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back