The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

front seal leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin0469

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 4, 2003
san diego, California
ok so what is the "Front seal" and how much would it cost to replace?

there are actually 3 seals on the front, however your most likely asking about the front crank seal. if your about ready for a t-belt job then do the seal at that time. if not, just keep an eye on the leakage until time for t-belt job. if it is severe enough...
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G.html

http://www.vfaq.com/proj-pics/Tbelt/Tbelt5.jpg behind the crankshaft sprocket. i believe the other two are behind the oil pump sprocket and the balance shaft sprocket...someone else? not the hardest job out there, but if you have not done it before, find someone who can assist you in replacing t-belt. if your going that deep you should do the water pump, and all tensioners also, and b-belt or b-belt eliminator.

cost??? depends on how much you have done...everything above...over $600 parts and labor.

jim

the seal by itself is probably only about $10. labor for someone else to do it...about $200+. you would be foolish to go that deep and not take care of the rest. as stated, if the leak is not bad, just keep an eye on the oil level and wait until you need a t-belt change.

jim

well the timing belt and stuff has been done recently and i dont know enough of what goin on to do it myself and not sure who to trust other then the dealer and it is kinda bad leak

ouch...whoever did the t-belt should have recommended the other stuff also, ie. b-belt, water pump, tensioners and seals. if they did not...i would probably stay away from that shop. whatever it cost to do the t-belt labor, it will cost that much plus a little more. if you did not get the balance belt done, do it with the seal job.

jim

okok so i took it to the dealership and i guess the guy but in the 6 bolt messed up the balance shafts (i think thats what he said) and they were way loose and blew up. so its like 1300 in repairs...good thing i dont have to pay for it and in doin all that they did the timing belt and other belts and seals

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back