1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Front Grill (no fab required)

Posted by BLACK'98DSM, Mar 12, 2019

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but I am looking very specifically. I want a metal vented grill that requires very little custom fabrication for a low price. I see some very interesting ones that I love but they cost $190-250. I have no problem spending that much on my car, but not on something that I know only cost a few dollars to make and that is something that will take roadwear and damage. Thanks for your help

Street Build 908  8

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

105  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

182  1

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
  2. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama

Street Build 908  8

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

105  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco

182  1

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
  3. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    back in the day, autozone used to sell universal aluminum mesh grill inserts.
    i pulled the bumper to install it. I just cut the mesh and bent it to fit. Then used a couple small pieces of wire to hold it in place and used a little fiberglass resin to bond it to the back side of the bumper.

pic00003_cr.jpg

BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  4. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    Home Depot.. go over by the rain gutters.. mesh gutter guard.

I painted it gloss black and secured it with a couple of well placed zip ties, but the previously mentioned fiberglass method sounds like a better route. Yes it's minor fab work to bend the mesh around the corners and secure it with the glass.. but I doubt you'll find anything that doesn't require some small amount of fab.

Street Build 2K  12

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Techn0Nut1996 and BLACK'98DSM like this.
  5. Techn0Nut1996

Techn0Nut1996 Supporting Member

Joined Jan 20, 2017
    Ames, Iowa
    ^ That is that I did to my car back in HS after a rock took a nice chunk out of my radiator, was very easy to do and worth the time and effort rather than spending more than $20 on a pre-made one.
    IMG_1731_zpsgjefn0w1.jpg

703  3

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM