The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Front balljoints. The EASY way!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've recently been on a campaign to replace the balljoints on all three of my AWD's. On the previous two I replaced tie rod ends also, but on this one I was short on cash so I scimped. Because separating the hub assembly from the tie rod end is so tough, and requires a pickle fork which can tear the tie rod end boot, I decided to do this without separating the tie rod end from the hub assembly.

The crazy thing is Mitsubishi's tech manual says the balljoints are a non-servicable item, and that the whole lower A-arm has to be replaced. Fortunately you can run down to your local parts store and pick up a set of new balljoints.

SO, before you begin, grab your usual set of tools, new balljoints, and the installation tool.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

These are the balljoints you need. I picked them up at Advance Auto Parts, but I'm sure anyone else will carry these, or an equivalent.

Here is what the Balljoint Installation tool looks like. I rented this from Autozone. It's basically a giant C-clamp with a hollowed-out top and some spacers to allow a balljoint to push through it.

Ok, so first you want to remove the wheel, caliper, CV-axle nut, and the 19mm bolt on the lower balljoint. It will then look like this:

Notice the balljoint is still stuck in the hub assembly. Yeah, it takes some persuasion, but I'll show you the easy way to get it loose. Next, prop a jackstand underneath the rotor, lifting the whole A-arm up straight...unlike my picture here, but just make sure it's lifted up some, so that the A-arm can fall out of the hub assembly.

Whack the crap out of the top of the balljoint, and then give a good whack on the A-Arm. It's very tough and wont mangle or anything. The balljoint and A-arm should fall right out! Next, pick the hub assembly up and rotate it out of the way. A jackstand can be used to prop it up on. This is what you should have at this point:

Now your ready to drive the balljoint out of the A-arm. To do this, position another jackstand (or whatever else) underneath the A-arm, lifting it up slightly so that its a good brace, when you whack the hell out of the balljoint. Here's how I did mine:

Position it to where the jackstand will not interfere with the removal of the balljoint, since it comes out of the bottom of the A-arm:

Remove the boot and circlip with a screwdriver. Its really easy.

Next, whack the ever loving hell out of it. It's easier if you really just lay into it 100%. I had mine out in 1 or 2 whacks. Here's a pic, whack it right there and watch for fast-moving objects!

And this is what you've got

Now your ready to install the new one. It comes with a boot, new snap ring, and grease fitting.

Grab the installation tool, and put it together using a suitable spacer. Insert the balljoint in the A-arm FIRST, it will stick in there, so you can position it straight before you press it in with the tool. After you get the tool tightened on it, check to make sure everything is straight, like this:

You can see the bottom of the balljoint in the pic. Just tighten that tool until the bottom of the balljoint becomes flush with the A-arm.

Next, add the snap ring.

Finally, put the boot on, and reassemble.
Enjoy!
-Seth

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back