The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

FP Tdo6sl2-18g Turbo on FWD auto ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EclipseTurbo

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2004
Northwest, New_Jersey
I am interested in buying this turbo as an upgrade and replacement.
http://store.forcedperformance.net/...=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=NTDSM18G6SL2

I have all the supporting mods except for an exhaust and auto tranny mods which will follow very shortly.
The turbo is made with a casted evo3 ported like housing,18g wheel, and tdo6sl exh wheel.
The information states that the turbo is able to run 26psi. I was considering a evo-3 but for the extra buck I would like to get fp18g-6sl2. Becouse I do not have the fuel mods I am goning to run it at 14 psi. I am not sure what the spool on it is but with a ported evo 3 like housing it should be quicker. What is everyone opinion on this for my FWD- automatic.
I would only like to hear opinions on this setup and none from users telling me that that this is a chinese made turbo like the evo GT.

Do you atleast have your stock pump rewired? If not get that done first, pump flow is directly related to voltage & from the factory our FP see's low voltage. As for either of these turbo's I would run 13 psi max (actually maybe abit less with the 18g), if you don't have a logger. Do you have a logger? With either of these turbos you can run out of fuel real quick with not alot of additional boost. I saw up to 107% injector duty cycle with my evoIII at 15 psi on the stock fuel system, which isn't a good idea (I did have a FP rewire & was running dsmlink at the time, so I was safe)

As for the turbo's, the FP 18g setup is just out so there haven't been alot of reviews but based on the other turbo's FP builds & what components they have thrown in this turbo, it seems like a great turbo & if I was picking between the two, I'd go 18g.

With that being said, not sure how much less of a hit the larger turbine wheeled 18g will have compared to the evoIII but I can say I like the way my FP3052 spools much better then the evoIII for a fwd. The evoIII is like a switch, there's nothing really then the boost & torque hits all at once, which is a good way to break tires lose. The larger 3052 starts to spool just as quick but the time to reach full boost is much more linear & obviously takes longer overall.

Personally I would probably recommend something larger then both of these turbo's but then again, that may not be best for you, depending on your goals. The other issue is I don't know what auto does as far as affecting bottom and & spool.

I do have an evo8 fuel pump in possesion, and I will have to install it with a rewire probably to supply all of the neccesary fuel to the car. I do not have a logger,
I have an apexi turbo timer with an a/f meter. Should I buy a logger or a wideband?
I am also thinking of buying the GT manifold tapped for an egt or porting my stock manifold and the o2 housing.

yes buy a wideband. You'll def. want to get an exhaust with that turbo. As for the GT manifold, I'd just stay with your 2g mani if it were me. Just my $0.02 though

The air/fuel gauge on your Apexi TT is useless as far as tunning (not just your Apexi unit, this goes for any air/fuel meter). These use the stock narrowband O2 sensor & are only accurate right around 14.7, once you get a few points away from this they read full rich or full lean. If you want to know your actual air/fuel ratio, the only way to do so is with a wideband, which reads accurate air/fuel ratio usually in the 10-20 to 1 range.

Yes you most defently need something to log the car if you plan on running more boost & changing the fuel system. & yes while a wideband is defently a nice tool to have, it is much more important to have a logger first. Tunning the car to a certain air/fuel ratio with a wideband that should be safe, may not be the case for your car, as there are so many different variables. A air/fuel ratio tune that works perfectly fine on someone else car may knock like crazy & cause destruction to your motor. Get a logger first, it should be on your list of next item to purchase. Personally I'd recommend DSMLink over all the other logging/fuel controller setups out there.

The GT mani seems to be pretty descent, I don't hear of people having cracking issues (like some of the more expensive aftermarket manifolds) & they are a good step up in size compared to a 2g mani. Now with that being said, will you notice huge gains with it?, probably not. If your 2g mani is in poor shape, then sure its a good investment but otherwise I would say the money is better spent somewhere else. The ported 2g mani has made big numbers & quick times.

+1 for you need a wideband.

and it is possible to control fuel and timing with a stock ecu w/o buying dsmlink. Check ds-map.net

Yes a wideband is a great tool to add on & yes you need a wideband to read your actual air/fuel ratio but no a wideband is not more important then a logger, as stated above. Get the logger setup first.

As for needing DSMLink, no you don't as there are other cheeper options out there (& more expensive ones as well) but the OP is a 2g so ds-map.net, is not an option for him.

+1 for you need a wideband.

and it is possible to control fuel and timing with a stock ecu w/o buying dsmlink. Check ds-map.net

I do have a 2g and they say that it is available for 1g only, I will research that more and perhaps use when it comes out for a 2g. Also i do not have a socketed ecu, and to have a
socketed ecu dont I need an eprom ??

I think it would be a good choice to keep my stock 2g manifold and port, but i do have a small hair crack ob about half inch on top of the manifold between where the bolts go to the turbo, I tested it for leaks with com bustion chamber cleaner,and I did not see any smoke come out except for the downpipe. I am planing to go with megan racing down pipe and exhaust, but after the DMV inpection since the down pipe is a cat eliminator. I only put 10k a year on my car so am not worried about the reliability, maybe the manifold crack wont be a problem.

First mod :
Turbo -ported manifold and o2 housing.
wideband
fuel pump
catback

If you get an 18g with FWD you are gonna have to work some throttle magic. Also 26psi with not be made on pump gas, What are your goals for this car? I have a gt3076r on my car running 23-24psi and it is much slower spooling than an 18g and I still break the tires loose when boost comes on if im 100% into the throttle. I can only see a much faster spooling turbo making this worse.

If you get an 18g with FWD you are gonna have to work some throttle magic. Also 26psi with not be made on pump gas, What are your goals for this car? I have a gt3076r on my car running 23-24psi and it is much slower spooling than an 18g and I still break the tires loose when boost comes on if im 100% into the throttle. I can only see a much faster spooling turbo making this worse.

my goals are 300-400 whp range ,12-13 sec on 1/4mile where this turbo is rated at about 400whp. I am not planning on running that much boost unless somewhere down the road
I might get watercooling. I was looking for an evo 3 turbo while this came. evo 3 are out of stock alot now and this turbo would be alittle better for my power goals. I read that the
evo 3 turbo supplies a linear supply of power so traction ins't that bad, and how
is the 18g??. But on this car I am not looking to spend most of my money since it is an automatic and I do not wish to replace my blown turbo with a t25 or t28. THIS IS NOT A REGULAR TDO5 exh wheel and it is a TDO6sl so it should have a slower spool, but mated to exh housing like evo 3 ported.
You just gave me another reason to buy it over the evo 3.
I am planning to keep the boost at 20-22 PSI with most of the supporting mods later.

Also this being a bigger compressor wheel 18g compared to the evo 3 wheel shouldnt it be allitle better on pump gas???

my goals are 300-400 whp range ,12-13 sec on 1/4mile where this turbo is rated at about 400whp. I am not planning on running that much boost unless somewhere down the road
I might get watercooling. I was looking for an evo 3 turbo while this came. evo 3 are out of stock alot now and this turbo would be alittle better for my power goals. I read that the
evo 3 turbo supplies a linear supply of power so traction ins't that bad, and how
is the 18g??. But on this car I am not looking to spend most of my money since it is an automatic and I do not wish to replace my blown turbo with a t25 or t28. THIS IS NOT A REGULAR TDO5 exh wheel and it is a TDO6sl so it should have a slower spool, but mated to exh housing like evo 3 ported.
I am planning to keep the boost at 20-22 PSI with most of the supporting mods later.

Also this being a bigger compressor wheel 18g compared to the evo 3 wheel shouldnt it be allitle better on pump gas???

Any new info or did you decide on a turbo yet 98EclipseTurbo? I'm also interested in the new 18g.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270140&highlight=18g
The link above is a discussion about 16g vs.fp 18g if you haven't read it yet.

400 whp will be pretty much maxing an evoIII out, sure its been done but with all the bolt on's, race gas, etc. Is this your goal on your daily pump gas tune or race gas? Either way you aren't going to reach the higher limits of your goal running "not that much boost". No, I would say the power from the evoIII defently isn't linear, I say the exact opposite. Their more like a light swicth from nothing to fully spooled & a big inital torque hit, that tapers off. Now as I had mentioned earlier my FP3052 is much more linear compared to the evoIII I ran. The 18g should be better the the evoIII in this area & be a better choice for your future goals.

Also I didn't see it listed on your list above, but I'm hoping a logger setup is at the very top of your list.

400 whp will be pretty much maxing an evoIII out, sure its been done but with all the bolt on's, race gas, etc. Is this your goal on your daily pump gas tune or race gas? Either way you aren't going to reach the higher limits of your goal running "not that much boost". No, I would say the power from the evoIII defently isn't linear, I say the exact opposite. Their more like a light swicth from nothing to fully spooled & a big inital torque hit, that tapers off. Now as I had mentioned earlier my FP3052 is much more linear compared to the evoIII I ran. The 18g should be better the the evoIII in this area & be a better choice for your future goals.

Also I didn't see it listed on your list above, but I'm hoping a logger setup is at the very top of your list.

400whp is maxing the evo316g at 100 % or more, done with ALOT work, it is not what I would like to run now but maybe someday when I'll have all of the supporting mods and a good tuning. Right now I will run it at 14psi which is the actuator pressure FOR FP18G. I quess 18g is
something that the fp is trying to offer instead of the evo316g. Being FWD
I quess that the tdo6 wheel will help on traction when it spools. I agree it will be alot better on future goals, many complain about the 16 series giving people only about 270-310 whp at about 20 psi with all of the support mods. I want that with not topping out my turbo, good spool, better efficiency and room to grow more boost :thumb: .

Any new info or did you decide on a turbo yet 98EclipseTurbo? I'm also interested in the new 18g.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270140&highlight=18g
The link above is a discussion about 16g vs.fp 18g if you haven't read it yet.

Thanks for the link , now I know that the spool should be pretty decent on that td06
Great design and I know already that it is definetely water cooled. If I could only send them that old 14b I got sitting and get an 18g tdo6 !! It is definetely a much better turbo :
14Psi actuator for better boost control 34mm flapper which is not used unless you port the small 16g like 02 passage. and a casted exh housing made from a ported evo3 housing.
I will order it tommorow and let you guys know how it works out.

Thanks for the update and please PM me and let me know what the total price is shipped to you if you don't want to post it here. I'm very interested in how the FP 18g will perform on your GST. I have a EvoIII 16g I bought from a friend, so not sure if I should sell it and get the FP 18g. Seems tempting...I'm not familiar with 18g, but will you also need a 2g install kit for it like with the 16g?

Thanks for the update and please PM me and let me know what the total price is shipped to you if you don't want to post it here. I'm very interested in how the FP 18g will perform on your GST. I have a EvoIII 16g I bought from a friend, so not sure if I should sell it and get the FP 18g. Seems tempting...I'm not familiar with 18g, but will you also need a 2g install kit for it like with the 16g?

The price comes out to 720$ , 699$ for the turbo and 20$ for shipping.
I would keep the evo3 16g since it is really close to the 18g, unless you want to go through the trouble of installation and selling to see the small difference. I would wait and upgrade later on to a 20g or 3052, gt35r.....
Yes The 2g 16g installation kit is needed because the oil feed line will work from 14b to 20g
And since this uses 14b/16g like compressor outlet the J pipe is needed, I already filed my
return line bolt holes.

Couple of things I dont know ?? What J pipe should I use -2.0 or 2.25 ??
I am considering with going to dejon tool for their large selection and no interference problems with the fan.
Do I need a new 7cm^2 gasket if I port the exhaust outlet and have the turbo inlet come in a ported evo3 style housing ?? Or do I modify the gasket , demel >?
Should I change the exh manifold to head---- gasket and 02 housing to turbo gasket ?
I dont see any problems with them but the car has 101k miles.

My main concern is passing the visual smog test here in California. I know some people have passed with a 16g and even a 20g, but others have also failed. I guess part of my turbo shopping is looking for a turbo that appears as stock looking as possible while still being powerful. I want to see the actual power/ performance difference between the two.

Check the condition of the gaskets, if they look good to you then they don't need replacing. However, it is better to have fresh new gaskets just in case. Sorry, but don't know the answers for the porting part. Are you using a SMIC or a FMIC?

I am still using the stock intercooler, I am planing to upgrade to a dejon tool fmic once I get my fuel mods and exhaust and tuning done.
I am thinking of spending the money on dsmlink and 750 injectors later on the road.
I am also replacing my stock 2g cracked manifold with an evo gt manifold.
Last problem that I have is that stock oil feed line that I can not get of the filter housing with a grip wrench or open end wrech. I think that I will torch heat it and try again.

Can anyone verify that the FP j pipe has a clearance issue with one of the fans??
I have been reading a post from two years ago, and I am not sure if the problem still persists with the j pipe .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back