The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

FMIC any way I want it...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bestwestranger

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2003
Cotter, Arkansas
To make a long story as short as possible, my buddy and I have a huge ic that came out of an equally huge motorhome. Its approx. 4' x 2' x 4". Its bar and plate, and the end tanks have rubber grommets so that all you have to do is cut the supports @ the top and bottom, and pull the tanks off the cores. Yeah, there are two cores. We plan to section this and make front mounts for our dsm's. He has a freind that is a fab man, and he will build a pair for us for $100.

What we want to know is; instead of the conventional "in one side, out the other", would it be of any gain to have him build them double decker style so it would be "in one side, out the same side"? What I mean by that is to essentially have two intercoolers, one directly on top of the other, sharing tanks. The in/out tank would have a partition in the middle to seperate them, and the opposite end tank would basicaly be an elbow, directing the air from the top tank to the bottom. The cores would obviously be long and skinny. The thinking is that the air would be cooled by the first run, then cooled even more on the second run. The only problem I can see is that the cores themselves may end up being too small and too restrictive.

This was just an idea that was thrown out, and we would like to see what "those who know about these kind of things think about this kind of thing".

Thanks guys! :thumb:

You've got the wrong idea about intercooling. Surface area and massflow rates, among other things, dictate the heat rejection capability. Double stack or double pass (i.e. parallel or series) represent the same heat exchanging surface area. Mass flow rates are the same thru the core as well. Biggest problem is pressure drop which is going to be 4 times as high as a double decker style intercooler. Don't do a double pass setup, it makes no engineering sense whatsoever.

1993eclipseGS said:
Um, You're going to buy a ''front mount intercooler'' that is only 4' x 2' x 4". ??? ha ha.. You could probably fit that pig right in the stock location...

:confused: Are you being sarcastic? it's in feet... not inches. :confused:

1993eclipseGS said:
Um, You're going to buy a ''front mount intercooler'' that is only 4' x 2' x 4". ??? ha ha.. You could probably fit that pig right in the stock location...

4'x2'x4" = 48"x24"x4" Wont fit in stock location.

haha every post I make I am always taken serious for some weird reason :(

Anyways, I know there is a guy on here with a red 1g has a custom fmic and it's huge! I seen pictures before it was cut down and it came up past the hood I believe. It looks really good now though.

I'm really not sure if you can just cut and weld a bar and plate core....

Thanks for the info guys. This was just a thought that came up. We pretty much figured that if it was a good idea we would have seen it before somewhere.

As far as cutting and welding the core, we will have to cut it to size, but not weld it back onto the tank. Either you read right over or misunderstood what I said about that. The tanks have rubber seals that the core fits into. The tanks are then held in place with an aluminum plate welded across the top and bottom connecting the two. (I know it sounds a little hokey, but this intercooler would see over 30 psi at full boost, so it should hold up just fine for our application.) All we have to do is cut the plates where they meet the tanks and pull them away from the core. Assembly would be pretty much the reversal. Cut the core to size, fab the tanks, pop it all together, then weld the plates back on.

If it works, cool. If it doesn't, we aren't out anything. We will call it an excersize in effort.

Thanks again for the (mostly:p ) helpful replies. :thumb:

can you take some pics of that intercooler?, makes sense to me if you cut it down to a managable size, sounds like you could cut that thing into 4 huge front mounts, 24"x12"x4", I dunno if there are 4" wide endtanks but hell give it a shot.

allgripnoslip said:
can you take some pics of that intercooler?, makes sense to me if you cut it down to a managable size, sounds like you could cut that thing into 4 huge front mounts, 24"x12"x4", I dunno if there are 4" wide endtanks but hell give it a shot.

I will see if my buddy can get a pic or two. As far as making 4 units out of it, the core is actually 2 parts, both about 2" thick. Also, the measurements I gave are not exact. Its been a while since I have measured it and if memory serves me right, I rounded up a little to get to the 48x24x4.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back