The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

flywheel resurface????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

street sleeper

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 31, 2002
MN
Iam replacing my clutch (fried the last one) and I know it recommended to resurface your flywheel, but I was wondering if it is absoulutly necessary to do it , I would like to avoid it if possible.

please respond.

Yes you have to resurface the flywheel or you will end up with clutch chatter, and the clutch wont live as long.

yes you have to,I didnt when replacing my clutch and now I have clutch chatter with my cluch let out,whether its in gear or not,but if I push the clutch in I don't...plus like the previous poist said it probably isnt going to last that long but in my case I don't care because It's just a factory replacment clutch (with new TO bearing and pressure plate) and I only changed it because I blew my diff. and popped to holes in the bell housing..and figured while I was in there I might as well throw it in..It was just sitting in my garage..I bought it for a previous car and never used it..Later

definitely, yes. have it resurfaced. It will correct any warpage the flywheel has and it will give it a good surface. It's about $20 and after all the work it takes to put it in, for this much it's not worth it to avoid a resurfacing.

Not resurfacing would be like installing new brake pads on an old brake rotor, the shiny surface would quickly polish the pads and you'll be sorry.

Just watch you don't get any oil or water in it while you are instaling it. Water will rust it and oil will make the clutch slip

Its gotta be done.

If you don't your nice new clutch will not break in properly, which will mean chatter and, worse yet, you will not get the clamping loads that you wanted!

Now, it should be done correctly too. Some places might shortcut things and either: Scotchbrite the surface, sand the surface or they might call it "roughening" the surface. Each of these is a poor excuse for proper surface preparation. None of these steps address finish or flatness.

They might try to turn the surface. Turning at least will get you a flat surface but not great surface detail. Flatness is an absoute must, just .005 our of flat will introduce so much chatter that you will think the clutch is worn out. If turned, you need to specify a finish (see the recommendations the clutch manufactuer gives. If there is none, I would target a roughness of about 10-25 microinches Ra).

What should be done is grinding (blanchard grinding). This flatens the surface and provides the finish needed to properly break in the clutch disc. Inquire (to the clutch manufactuer) about bead-blasting - sometimes this has been done to speed up the break in process. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

After grinding has been completed, if the flywheel is handled properly, has no oil put on its, etc. you should have a very good operating friction surface!

Good luck

Kyle

Just installed a 2100 in my car. I brought my flywheel to a profesional machine shop that ended up costing 45 bucks. A bit spendier then I thought, but it definately worth it to have it done right.

P.S. Any you guys have experience in the best process of breaking in a clutch ?????

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back