The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Flex Plate fix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DroopYeyeS

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Middletown, Ohio
I just finished yet another flex plate replacement in my '91 awd. This time I'm going with the 2 plates stacked idea. I was curious to hear from other A/T runners that have done this on their cars, as to how dependable it is compared to stock with a single plate. I'm just tired of breaking plates in this thing.

I think i mite have just burned up a pump from running 2 flexplates. I am going with a kiggly now.

How do you figure running two plates burned up your pump ? The usual cause for pump failure is metal contamination and starving the pump of fluid..

how is kiggly flexplate holding up, i need to replace mine and was thinking of going with their fp.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What do you run in a 7bolt. This exact issue has got me thing about going 5 speed if i cant get a flexplate to hold up.

You run duel 7 bolt flexplates...There's plenty of info out there on this...

IDK man. I'm running a kiggly F.P. Holds up great. If only you had a 6 bolt.

You'll probably just have to run dual 7 bolt. flex plates.

Good input on the Kiggly. I am however looking to hear from others that have the dual plate setup to see how it's holding. I'm still working on other repairs at this point and did a rather small amount of driving on the setup at this point.

I welded mine together for additional strength by drilling through one and filling with weld. Also use red locktite on the converter bolts if you don't want them to come loose. Did you use a second starter plate to make up the difference in the spacing?

I basically just removed the 2nd spacer, and added the 2nd plate. They seem to be about the same thickness.

Have you guys had any issues with converter bolts backing off? I read above use red loctite and we have but are still having issues with the bolts backing off. We have a stock re stalled converter on a 92 with a 7-bolt dual flex plate.

I did have that issue the first time. Last pull apart, I just drenched them with Red Loctite. No issue since.

When I first put the auto in I used a good amount of red loctite/ARP bolts and the damn bolts came loose within a month. Luckily I caught it before it did any damage to the flex plate. I just tightened the shit out of them and it's been fine for a while. It's still always a worry in the back of my mind though as I'm running a single stock flex plate... I'm getting ready to pick up one of the Kiggly units soon before something bad happens.

Update: This mod works like a charm!!!. Car runs great, and it's only $30 for the 2nd plate. After a long search found the hard part I needed to fix her.

-red97rum-, I highly recommend this mod, or another to reinforce the plate. When the plate breaks, if you don't catch it right away, it can damage the front pump in the trans. I have found out, the hard way, that it's almost impossible to find one of these. There are shops around that have them, but are not willing to sell them. There is also a way to modify a 2g pump to fit, but these will not be sold either. The stealer lists the part for $377, but has discontinued them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back