The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Fixing up the forgotten

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ces4rDSM

Proven Member
Feb 2, 2019
watsonville, California
Hey, im fixing my 2g dsm spyder up, i left the head of motor open since i had incorrect studs and left like that under the hood for about 3 months. I barely received my correct arps in the mail a say ago. Anything i should be worried about? Btw space by the cams was full of nasty oil mixed with coolant i cleaned best i could when i opened her up. Drained oil etc. I left speacial tool to retract tensioner pully on with tensioner retracted so theres no tension on timing belt, used plastic mold to hold cams in place and marked all timing arrows before leaving it as it is, also cleaned valves as best as i could when i had motor open should i clean inside the valves or ??? Open to suggestion, i gotta get it running again !

Ah I suppose I can help you in both threads... I would just go ahead and get your head resurfaced and have a professional give your internals a once over it's cheaper than you think and saves a lot of heartache and worry down the road.

With everything off now is a good time to just redo the timing completely I think full timing kits are around $200 especially if you do not know when the the timing belt was changed last

open as in no valve cover or anything blocking dust and other airborne particles from making their way down the returns and into your pan or just sticking to the inside wall of the block?

I had motor open as in no studs tightening the head and the bottom portion of motor. My valve cover was on but without bolts with rubber seal intact.
I would definitely send the head to get resurfaced . Its a big headache saver for close to $100. And can be done same day at most machine shops. Alot of the time ill bring them new valve seals and have them Hot tank it, replace the seals and deck the surface.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back