The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Fiberglass/composite/carbon fiber hoods...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coup D E'Tat

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 22, 2002
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So, I was going through www.frankscustomfiberglass.com, and came across those three kinds of hoods for my 2G.

Now, I know what carbon fiber and fiberglass looks like, but I have a few quick questions.

What does "composite" look like? What color does it come as? Frank's fiberglass hoods come in that fiberglass "white" color, right?

Just trying to make my decision on what to buy :thumb:

Thanks a lot.

honestly "composite" could refer to anything
1. A structure or an entity made up of distinct components.
2. A complex material, such as wood or fiberglass, in which two or more distinct, structurally complementary substances, especially metals, ceramics, glasses, and polymers, combine to produce structural or functional properties not present in any individual component.

so basically it could be a composite of manure and resin to some urethane and CF blend mix...the only way to really know is to call the nice folks up and ask 'em. ;)

Slipstream said:
honestly "composite" could refer to anything
1. A structure or an entity made up of distinct components.
2. A complex material, such as wood or fiberglass, in which two or more distinct, structurally complementary substances, especially metals, ceramics, glasses, and polymers, combine to produce structural or functional properties not present in any individual component.

so basically it could be a composite of manure and resin to some urethane and CF blend mix...the only way to really know is to call the nice folks up and ask 'em. ;)

Exactly! ;) But to further help you I was talking to Frank while we were at lunch and had him tell me exactly how his hoods are:
For the most part here it is.....

*Fiberglass hood = white gel coated hood made with chop matt fiberglass

*Composite hood = white gel coated hood made with chop matt and fiberglass cloth (black in color on the back side)

*Carbon fiber hood = clear coated hood made with CARBON FIBER and s-glass (s-glass is better, lighter and stronger than normal fiberglass, this is just a backing he uses)

Leo

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back