The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

feels like fuel cut but its not.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlgeclipsegsx

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 4, 2011
Moorhead, Minnesota
Hey guys, Well Ive had this problem since i bought the car a year and half ago. What it seems like is fuel cut but my car has no mods. I just got done rebuilding the head and when I was breaking it in, it ran rough so i put new spark plugs in and that fixed it. It idles fine other than it seems i might have a boost leak but when i push down on the pedel and i watch my boost gauge it looks like its boosting just fine and the needle is constant and not moving back. I ran it at the track and it was fine, then on my way home i step on it and after a few seconds it was just completly cut out. Usually it wont do this right when i buy spark plugs but usually after a month. I dont know what it could be, im just kind of annoyed of having this happen, and it only happens WOT. If i have to, I will upload a video of it happening.

When an engine expert shows up, he or she will probably ask if you've done a boost-leak check. Why not get a jump on things...?

I would say do a boost leak check, then after that I would test your TPS and your MAF to make sure they are both within spec. I have to know if your gapping your pugs correctly, and what fuel your running in the car too. Have you done a fuel pump rewire? You may be hitting cut cause your pump is on its way out right now and your fuel pressure drops on you under a heavy load like WOT.

Well I am going to do a boost leak test but I should mention that I been using bosch platinums and I know they are not the best to use because the electrode is too small. They may last longer than a copper plug but the copper has a larger spark surface. I am switching to ngk bpr6's.

How do you test the tps and maf to see if they are within spec?

TPS u need a DMM to test it. The maf I have never fully tested, I just swap em out for known good ones if that is the only option I generally have left. It could also be your ECU

I'm almost positive you're fouling out the plugs. Get a set one range hotter than you're running and make sure you gap them properly. Do the boost leak test and fix all the leaks that I know you'll find. That may take some effort. Turn the boost back down to stock. Then get something to tune with and lean that thing out some, there's no way you should be going through plugs that quick.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back