The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Feal 441 Coilovers review

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagen

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 28, 2007
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
I haven't seen much of anything about these coilovers in the DSM camp, so I figured post my experience with these.

I'll start with ordering. I bought these through Strictly Performance, and I can't say enough good things about their customer service. I ordered over the phone, and within the next day or two the called to let me know that because of the low demand for the DSM units, some of the parts Feal needed were out of stock and were waiting for parts to arrive from the machine shop. I figured these were built to order as it was already, so I expected a bit of a wait. They called to give me an update at least once a week, and they were at my door after about a month. Great service.

Now the coilovers themselves. They were shipped directly from Feal and were well packaged.
The build quality looks great. One thing I notice is the lack of a brake line mount for the rear coilovers. Not a huge deal, they also sell a universal clamp on mount for brake lines. I just zip tied mine to the coilover body for now.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Installation was straight forward, everything lined up. The factory front brake line bracket needed to be spread open a little to fit around the larger coilover body. Unlike the stock front strut, the top bolt hole connecting the coilover to the spindle is slotted for slight camber adjustment. I just pushed it all the way in for as much negative adjustment as possible and torqued it to spec.
Out of the box they were set to the height I had planned on running so I left it there.

Now for my biggest complaint. After adjusting the front camber plates all the way negative, along with the slotted spindle mount, I could only manage about -1.7 camber. My aim is -2~2.5. Looking at the plate in the shock tower hole you can see that there is plenty more room for the camber slots to move inboard. There's far more adjustment to add POSITIVE camber than there is negative. I compared pictures of Ksports camber plate, and you can see the slots go inboard further.
I've sent an email to Feal about this do we'll see what they have to say. It might've just been machined improperly. Hopefully I can get a revised set.

Feal camber plate.

Ksports for comparison.

Now for the test drive. Since I'm waiting to borrow my friends SmartStrings, the alignment was a guesstimate, and driving was limited to a few blocks by my house. There is a bit of construction going on, so roads aren't the best. Even so, the ride quality wasn't too bad. Without making and dampning adjustments it rode better than the old Eibachs/GAB combo, and was less jarring than my Miata on Megan coilovers. So initial impressions are good. I'll update my results once I get an alignment and really push the car.

Nice strictly does have great service my buddy owns it. Im thinking about the same set up for my 1g. More reviews later if you can.

Nice! What are the spring rates on those? You mentioned the Megan's on your Miata are stiff, they're stiff on the DSM too, 12kg/mm (672 lb/in) springs up front and 10kg/mm (560 lb/in) springs in the rear, which is REALLY stiff. I'm going to switch to a softer spring on mine and see how that feels. On the plus side, they're AMAZING when you're launching.

Got a response from Feal, they'll be sending out a new pair of camber plates.
I also ordered a set of jackscrews/turnbuckles and weld in bungs to make the rear upper arms adjustable.
Once everything is in and camber is set, I'll be molding a set of my own fender flares. 17x9 +22 doesn't play well with stock fenders.

But I planned on flares from the get go, I have a soft spot for them.

Could you swap the coilovers in the front from left to right to get more camber adjustment?

Could you swap the coilovers in the front from left to right to get more camber adjustment?

No. They (both fronts) are both the same coilover. They are symmetric and not marked left/right. You could swap left and right. Replacing camber plates as FEAL did is the superior solution as far as durability, effectiveness, and effort.

I'm waiting for the review especially in comparison the the pick-your-color variety of coilovers.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back