The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Fairly new to DSMs, Looking for opinions!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew92

Probationary Member
Jul 16, 2010
Avon, South_Dakota
Hey guys, soon i will be buying my first DSM(s)! I've tried to learn alot by browsing the site over the last month in my free time, but there is a lot to learn..
ok this is somewhat complex so I'll try to explain the best i can...
I'm planning on buying 3 cars, 2 have blown motors, and 1 has a title. LOL
First Car- is an Talon TSI AWD Auto 90-92(i think*) it has a good motor but was in a wreck, No title..
Second car-is a talon tsi(FWD) 90-92(i think*)5 speed has blown motor but good body and transmission..No title...
Third car-93 Mitsubishi eclipse GS 5 speed has blown motor good transmission only car with title...
So my plan (if possible) is to use the motor from the TSI AWD and use the computer/transmission?/and 14b turbo maybe injectors and fuel pump from the TSI(FWD) is there anything I'm forgetting or any opinions or any problems you might expect let me know or if i can use the GS transmission etc etc....Thank you all!

The non- turbo trans. has a smaller bell housing and can not be used on the turbo engine unless you swap the housing. The gear ratio is also different. Unless your desperate its hardly worth the time. To use the GS for the title you need to check the wiring harness closely because I think its slightly different.

You are going to want to swap over the turbo engine wire harness. Non-turbos don't have the knock sensor provion in the harness. You'll want to pay attention to which throttle body (sensors)/CAS/coilpacks & PT you use - Mitsu changed connectors between 90 & 91.

The non- turbo trans. has a smaller bell housing and can not be used on the turbo engine unless you swap the housing. The gear ratio is also different. Unless your desperate its hardly worth the time. To use the GS for the title you need to check the wiring harness closely because I think its slightly different.

As the two do have different gear ratios, the reason they are not directly interchangeable is because of the flywheel. The turbo and non-turbo flywheels are different sizes.

Non-turbo clutches have a tendency to dislike turbo engines -- they don't hold the power real well. You will want to use the FWD turbo transmission which MUST BE PAIRED WITH the FWD turbo flywheel. AWD flywheels are different as well, so you will want to be certain you have the FWD turbo flywheel and, at that, the FWD turbo starter plate.

Also be aware that axle size or shifter plate/cables may come into play. The axles in the GS may or may not fit the FWD turbo transmission. I am not positive, but I would imagine the FWD turbo axles would fit the hubs on the non-turbo, so it could be as simple as using those axles. If not, and the non-turbo axles don't fit the FWD turbo transmission, you will need to use the hubs from the FWD turbo as well.

If the FWD turbo car is in fact a 1990 model year, it would be wise to use the shifter base/plate and cables from that car in the GS. If it is not, you shouldn't have problems.

Finally, the wiring harness has nothing to do with the title. Insurance will still read as a non-turbo car after all that work. As Ryan stated, just be smart with the connections you use and know that the 1990 model year was the odd duck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back