The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G F5M31 in 97 GST?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madquickyo

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 20, 2005
Morgan City, Louisiana
I'm having a problem mating up my engine to my tranny. I'm swapping out from an auto to a manual.
On the bellhousing, it has the numbers KF5M332SPZT (F5M33), but on the transmission part itself it has F5M31.
When I tighten up the bolts it locks up.
I found these tables on an earlier post.
Whats the problem?

1995-1999 Talon, Eclipse and Eclipse Spyder
Specification Base model Mid model Upper model (FWD) Upper model (AWD)
Eclipse model names RS GS GS-T GSX
Talon model names - ESi TSi TSi AWD
Engine type 2.0L 2.0L 2.0L turbo 2.0L turbo
Driveline FWD FWD FWD AWD
Standard transmission F5MC1 F5MC1 F5M33 W5M33
Automatic transmission F4AC1 F4AC1 F4A33 W4A33

1996-1999 Eclipse Spyder
Specification Mid model Upper model (FWD)
Spyder model names GS GS-T
Engine 2.4L 2.0L turbo
Horsepower 141 210
Standard transmission F5M31 F5M33
Automatic transmission F4A23 F4A33

Since no-one has replied, I'll wing it, but keep in mind that I have no direct experience with this.

In theory, a F5M33 can bolt to a 2.4 block, since you can keep your transmission with you swap in a 2.4 block for your crankwalked 2.0T. This suggests (to me, at least) that the opposite should be possible, such that you can put a F5M31 on a 2.0T block, as you are trying to do. I've even read somewhere that a F5M33 is just a stronger version of the F5M31, with the outside dimensions and mounts being the same.

Based on this, I would be looking for something besides the mismatch in transmission codes.

- Jtoby

madquickyo said:
I'm having a problem mating up my engine to my tranny. I'm swapping out from an auto to a manual. On the bellhousing, it has the numbers KF5M332SPZT (F5M33), but on the transmission part itself it has F5M31...well when I tighten up the bolts it lockes up. I found these tables on an earlier post. Whats the problem?

1996-1999 Eclipse Spyder
Engine 2.4L 2.0L turbo
Horsepower 141 210

At least from a 1G prospective, the F5M31 was only available in the Galant and Expo. It should bolt up, but might have a bellhousing like that of the F5M22, in that it has a smaller inner bell area for use with a smaller diameter flywheel.

The F5M21, F5M22, and F5M31 all have lighter radial bearings on the intermediate shaft and input shaft. The F5M33 has tapered bearings for the larger torque loading provided by the turbo engine.

I'm not sure why the trans would have two different trans model numbers on it. My guess is it's a F5M31, which likely needs the smaller diameter flywheel (educated guess, because I've not had my hands on one). Really, you need the F5M33, but you can make the F5M31 work.

I don't have any 2G spyder manuals, so I can't verify the availability of F5M31, but in my 3G manuals, the spyder shows a F5M42 being used with the 2.4.

madquickyo said:
I'm having a problem mating up my engine to my tranny. I'm swapping out from an auto to a manual. On the bellhousing, it has the numbers KF5M332SPZT (F5M33), but on the transmission part itself it has F5M31...well when I tighten up the bolts it lockes up. I found these tables on an earlier post. Whats the problem?

1996-1999 Eclipse Spyder
Engine 2.4L 2.0L turbo
Horsepower 141 210

As per the F5M31 and F5M33, all 2G FWD turbo trannies have both numbers. My original transmission, which is sitting in my garage awaiting rebuild when I get the time, had it. My 98 trans that is in the car now also had both numbers on it.

The problem is that when I tighten up the bolts from the tranny to my block, it ends up locking up.

As soon as I loosen the bolts a little bit everything is fine. With the bolts loose, I turn my crank and I can look at my diff and see that the tranny is turning also.

As soon as I tighten the bolts up, I cant turn my crank, it locks up.
It gets to me though as of why they have both casting numbers on the transmission. I would think that the KF5M332SPZT on the bellhousing would be the model number of the transmission, but on transmission it only has F5M31.

here in europe all 1g s n/t has the f5m31 gearbox as morphius said the tapered bearings differ but other then that it should bolt up fine, it can use the gst flyweel too,
/A

I actually figured out the problem the other day and this is my first chance to get to post.
My pressure plate is hitting the bellhousing for some odd reason.

Anyone know why this could be doing this?

I have a act 2600 w/6 puck. I took my tranny off and looked at it and its hitting but barely hitting. I've done an auto to 5 speed conversion and the only thing I can think of is I don't have the spacer plate between the block and tranny.

Think this could have something to do with it?

I have an act2600 clutch kit with a 6 puck disk and an act xact flywheel. For some odd reason my pressure plate is hitting inside the bellhousing. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

madquickyo said:
I have an act2600 clutch kit with a 6 puck disk and an act xact flywheel. For some odd reason my pressure plate is hitting inside the bellhousing. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

i had the same problem on a dudes car i put together and he had a SBR 3500. i just took the tranny out and ground down the lip that it was hitting on (you can tell where it was hitting because it will be marked up from the pp) i took enough off so i knew that when it went back together it wouldnt hit and it was fine.

Have you solved this problem?

Well I found this thread by doing a search. I have the opposite problem.
My 99 GST Spyder shows the f5m31. When we put on the transmission, the pilot bearing is too far and doesn't reach the clutch. The problem isn't the tranny though, it's the clutch.

The original clutch is the taller version that I can't seem to find anywhere. All I get is the shorter clutch and the pilot can't reach the pressure plate. I've looked everywhere for the original clutch and can't find it. Even Mits dealer sent me the shorter clutch. Damn this sucks.

Here's a link to my thread about this topic. If anyone can tell me where to find the correct clutch then I would be very helpful. Thanks!

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254294

I bolted my F5M31 tranny in my 1g talon when my tranny (F5M33) went out. but the axles didnt match up . i guess you'll need galant axles also... it didnt work for me gear oil spilled out everywhere....

I don't know what the problem was but we solved it by putting in a new tranny. Brand spankin new from Mitsubishi. I wish I had that in my 1G. After I installed it in, everything worked perfect. Clutch good again. The tranny came with a new clutch slave as well so that helps any slave problems. Though the master is kinda acting strange.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back