The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

EVO3 16G Full boost at 4500 RPM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolin4Ever

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 24, 2005
Moses Lake, Washington
I am all stock on the fuel and exhaust. (completely stock, not even re-wire FP).

I have an EVO3 16G. It spools kinda slow. Hits full boost at about 4500 RPM.

Well depends on what my boost is set at. This is when it was at 16lbs. I turned it down to 10 for now till I get supporting mods. I don't remember what it hits 10 lbs at. I think maybe about 3500 or so.

Is this normal when your car is stock?
(only mods are MBC, hacked aircan with K&N FIlter).

i also have the evoiii w/ supporting mods and it spools around 3500-3800 is that normal, what is usual for the evo

So anybody want to tell me if they think this is normal for my stock fuel and exhaust, that if I am running 16 lbs. it takes to 4500 RPM to reach full spool? (i'm no longer running 16 on stock fuel, just curious though).

Yes its normal. Without big enough exhaust/intake etc... then there is not enough room for air to flow so in return you get a slower spool up time.

flinguist said:
An automatic will spool slower, I'm not sure how much though. I see you got the turbo clipped, that will slow down your spool also.

mines 5spd or were u just stated in general auto spool slower.. so why do people get it clipped to prevent boost creep

I think clipping increases topend performance.

Increases flow on the topside of the powerband, but increasing spool time.

My evoIII16g hits 19psi at about 3100 - 3200

3 inch 02 eliminator exhaust, paired with the GM maft setup, = one free flowing sumbitch of a turbo.

Lordpaxin said:
I think clipping increases topend performance.

Increases flow on the topside of the powerband, but increasing spool time.

Correct, when you clip a turbo you remove some of the turbine wheel. This allows the exhaust to flow past it easier (less restriction) so you get better flow at the high rpms, but like said the trade off is abit slower spool since their is now less turbine wheel & it takes the exhaust energy longer to spool it.

4500 seems high but with that very restrictive factory exhaust thats probably about right.

yeah sounds normal on the uber restrictive exhaust and intake.

get yourself a nice 3" turboback exhaust(downpipe, cat delete, catback), then get some hard IC pipes, a better bov(1g or many others, and dont vent).

then if you want to use the evo16g to its fullest(15+psi) you will need a pocketlogger setup, at least 550cc injectors, at least a 190lph pump(255 will need better fpr), and a safc2 to tune.

all in all youre looking at 1.5-2g$ in parts if youre buying all brand new. do a search on any of the above for more info, and the classifieds always have cheap used stuff if you want to go that route.

and if you havent already clean out your intercooler. my 18g got full boost of 12 psi at 3800, then I cleaned my intercooler and pipes and now I get full boost at 3200 at 12 psi.

Mike1992 said:
and if you havent already clean out your intercooler. my 18g got full boost of 12 psi at 3800, then I cleaned my intercooler and pipes and now I get full boost at 3200 at 12 psi.

Was there a dead rat in there?

Maybe you have and exhaust leak some where.

My EVOIII at WOT hits full boost at about 3000-3200 rpms. I have 2.5 inch downpipe, 3 inch catback (with high flow cat), ported exhaust manifold, and a HEAVILY ported 2G O2 sensor housing. The turbine housing itself is not ported though. I also have a huge intake with an open K&N if that is even relevant.

sonicnofadz said:
My EVOIII at WOT hits full boost at about 3000-3200 rpms. I have 2.5 inch downpipe, 3 inch catback (with high flow cat), ported exhaust manifold, and a HEAVILY ported 2G O2 sensor housing. The turbine housing itself is not ported though. I also have a huge intake with an open K&N if that is even relevant.

so i guess something is wrong w/my car at 3500 wot i hit 10psi, i hit 20 psi around 5k, boost leak??? mods r in profile

i have a big 16g, obviously similar to the evo 16g. i didnt have intake/exhaust on but had fuel mods done and i didnt hit 18 psi till like 4500 rpm. youll notice a huge difference w/exhaust on it.

While on the subject of the evoIII 16g, I'm about to upgrade to that turbo, and am already running 550's w/ a walbro 190. My question is if I decided to also upgrade to 660's would the 190 fuel pump be enough to support the 660's or would I have to upgrade to a 255 w/ an afpr setup? Thanks...All help is appreciated...

-Steve :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back