The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

EVO III Big 16G Turbo on EG Honda

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travisr138

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2004
Conowingo, Maryland
I want to put the EVO III Big 16G into my 95 EG Honda coupe, I know I'm in a dsm forum, but I thought I'd ask here too. Some sites offer options when purchasing this turbo, and some do not. The car currently runs a 14B, but I want to upgrade, so I figured a EVO III Big 16G would be a direct in from the 14B correct? What kind of difference do you think I'd notice? Also, What's the difference from the turbo, then if you get other options, what do they do/how do they help.

Site doesn't offer any options
http://www.finaldriveperformance.com/product_info.php?cPath=185_3_82&products_id=206

Offers options
http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=52&

Like the Port Turbine Outlet for an extra $60
Port Turbine Inlet for an extra $60
and the different wastegate choices

I just want it to be able to bolt right up, like the 14B.

Could I use the same oil lines from the 14B?

You are correct the evoIII will be a direct bolt one compared to the 14b. What you will gain all depends on what you are changing between the setups. The evoIII will allow you to run more boost over the 14b, which is where the biggest gains can be found but it will also produce a cooler charge at the same boost level because of the larger compressor wheel & has a better flowing turbine housing which will also help with the power. Spool will actually be pretty similar even though the evoIII wheel is larger (because of the design/weight differences) Yes you can use the same oil lines. Wastegate choices depends on what amount of boost you plan on running. If you have a boost controller get a wastegate with the boost pressure thats equal to the lowest you will ever want to run. If you don't have a boost controller get the WG that fits the boost your plan on running. The porting allows for max performance, as it increase flow but depending on what you have it bolted up to this may not make a difference (for example if the manifold outlet is the same size as the unported turbine housing, theres no piint in making the turbine inlet larger) Porting the inlet is usually done to match a 7cm (thats cm2 area, not 7cm across) exhaust manifold gasket & basically removes the inlet step. Porting the turbine outlet is probably something I would worry about.

Very quick response, thanks alot! I'm building the motor first, right now it runs 10psi stock, no motor work done, but I'm going to build the motor for more boost. If you don't buy it without any extra options, how the whole wastegate setup? I have a MBC in the car. No matter what the options are, it'll be able to bolt up though, correct. I guess I will have to look into it more, I'm on a budget.

Very quick response, thanks alot! I'm building the motor first, right now it runs 10psi stock, no motor work done, but I'm going to build the motor for more boost. If you don't buy it without any extra options, how the whole wastegate setup? I have a MBC in the car. No matter what the options are, it'll be able to bolt up though, correct. I guess I will have to look into it more, I'm on a budget.

Not exaclty sure what your asking in the first question. Yes what ever you get will bolt right up, the options are just add on's & their not like something will be missing from the setup if you don't get them. Not sure what most offer for the wastegate pressure options but the std evoIII WG runs about 10 psi, which you can easily run double that with a MBC. At 10 psi I wouldn't expect to see huge gains, maybe 20 hp (just a guess/estimate) but yes if you plan on building the motor & running say 15-20 psi, the evoIII will really show its potential over the 14b.

i wouldnt change out unless you plan on running more boost to get into the E16G's efficiency range, 10psi is too low for it, id say around 20-23psi is its sweet spot. how much boost do you plan on making with the built motor?

but yes, a E16g will be a direct bolt on affair when swapping from a 14b.

Are you using the internal gate? The wastegate actuator is a little stiffer on the e316g than the 14b but they are interchangeable so just use the actuator that you have now on the new turbo. The e316g is a great turbo and you will have no problem as it is a direct bolt on and nothing will change in mounting it. What motor do you have in your honda now?
I have an e316g on my 4g61t 1.6liter version of the eclipse motor in my mirage. This is a great set up I get full boost in the 3200-3400rpm range and pulls to 8000rpm. I am probably the closest to your set up and still being a mitsu, haha. Any more questions or anything I can do let me know.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back