The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Evo brake swap checklist

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don't know how you feel about taking the bolts out, but for a picture and measurements, could you pull just one per caliper (front and rear)?:pray:

You know I can, actually. :) Give me a bit and I'll go double check everything. I feel a little bad about my part in this thread turning onto another cluster..

So Philip, I'm guessing this is what you were trying to PM me about? ;)

You know I can, actually. :) Give me a bit and I'll go double check everything. I feel a little bad about my part in this thread turning onto another cluster..

as far as clutter is concerned, I am just going to be taking all of the good info and condensing it into a tech article to either replace the current or to be added to in conjunction with the original sicne it is missing all the part numbers and real MISC parts that are not mentioned there.

This thread is just for gathering that info. Thanks for the help though :)

Pulled the wheel off to double check the information in my previous posts. Here's what I found. Remember, this info pertains to my 95 GSX. I can't be certain about your car. :thumb:

Front: EvoIX Calipers. EvoIX bolts. Stock DSM brake lines.

Rear: EvoIX Calipers. EvoIX bolts shortened slightly to fit. Stock DSM brake lines.

I'm absolutely sure about this, and you can see for yourself in the pictures.

Atuca: Thanks for having a good attitude about this all. I know it's frustrating when you're trying to do your homework and you keep getting conflicting info. Hopefully your tech article will address all the necessary details.

PICTURES:
1. Front, stock brake lines 2. Front, evoIX bolt
3. Rear, stock brake line 4. Rear, evoIX bolt clearance (here you can see the minimal clearance for excess bolt length.)

Attachments

• 3370700963_08b4185a40.jpg
    3370700963_08b4185a40.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,225
  • 3371522938_bd61a0f36b.jpg
    3371522938_bd61a0f36b.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,222
  • 3371523554_4c9e5bdfc9.jpg
    3371523554_4c9e5bdfc9.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,216
  • 3371524142_309130798d.jpg
    3371524142_309130798d.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,221
Hey I have no problem learning about dsm stuff, I just like to be sure and thorough.

I appreciate the pictures, and the time it took for you to do that, words can't express my gratitude.

I hope to include all of this and more on the install, the walkthrough on DSMlink was great too, mine will look mostly like that with the addition of all the part numbers.

Today is day 5 of 3-5 day shipping, so hopefully when I get home there are some nice calipers waiting for me :)

UofACATS: Thanks a million bro :thumb:

I do have a question for you through bro, do you run dust shields? I don't see any, do you know anything about the pros and cons of running with or without one? I'd assume it keeps them a bit cooler to not have them (assuming no brake cooling duct) but has it affected anything in a bad way? Or just made your rims a little dirtier? Thanks!

Hey I have no problem learning about dsm stuff, I just like to be sure and thorough.

I appreciate the pictures, and the time it took for you to do that, words can't express my gratitude.

I hope to include all of this and more on the install, the walkthrough on DSMlink was great too, mine will look mostly like that with the addition of all the part numbers.

Today is day 5 of 3-5 day shipping, so hopefully when I get home there are some nice calipers waiting for me :)

UofACATS: Thanks a million bro :thumb:

I do have a question for you through bro, do you run dust shields? I don't see any, do you know anything about the pros and cons of running with or without one? I'd assume it keeps them a bit cooler to not have them (assuming no brake cooling duct) but has it affected anything in a bad way? Or just made your rims a little dirtier? Thanks!

If I can help, that's cool. :cool:

I don't run the dust shields, I've had no problems so far. The rims are extra dirty! They're powdercoated bright white, so brake dust and road grime really stand out. It's hard to attribute the extra dust solely to the shields being absent because the brake pads changed at the same time.

Here is a parts list for the hardware to bolt up the rear brembos. I bought everything from ACE.

4x SS hex key bolts: M10x25x1.50 $2.60 each
4x SS flat washers: M10 $0.55 each
4x SS lock washers: M10 $0.55 each

Total: $14.80

I measured the factory front rotors to be 320mm in diameter, or 12-9/16".

Here is a parts list for the hardware to bolt up the rear brembos. I bought everything from ACE.

Nice. No cutting required :cool:

You also need to keep in mind and mention that 2g GS-T and GSX brakes use different front brake lines. The 2 piston gsx calipers use a banjo bolt/ fitting and the gst lines just tread right into the the 1 piston calipers. So for the GST guys you will need either GSX or EVO front brakes lines.

^ Exactly. Since I've got a GST, I opted for RRE's modified brake lines when I was planning on going with the GSX package way back when. The lines still will work with the Evo calipers. I've tested them.

BTW, if you're re-doing the powder coat, or rebuilding the calipers, you might want to check out the links below. Not surprisingly, these are definitely cheaper than going OEM.

Girodisc high performance brake products
Girodisc high performance brake products

EXCELENT! What was the story on the fronts? Did you get bolts for them as well?

as for the gst stuff, I didn't know they used different brake lines, so that is great to know, I will be sure to add that in there as well.

Woot for getting all the info together and getting it right :thumb:

EXCELENT! What was the story on the fronts? Did you get bolts for them as well?

I will be back to ACE as soon as my knuckles come, hopefully by this weekend. I will try to take some pictures as well later on, but have been busy with other stuff. One thing is for sure: the diameter of the bolts on the fronts is larger- looks to be 12mm. Will get detailed parts list as soon as I can! :)

Not to steal the thread but where are you guys getting your front knuckles from, and what did you pay for them? I got mine from Mentor Mitsu for $280 a side? I just figuired it would help for some other Joe Schmoe that wanted to do this swap?? I should get my calipers this week and start my swap??:) Good luck to all-

I will be back to ACE as soon as my knuckles come, hopefully by this weekend. I will try to take some pictures as well later on, but have been busy with other stuff. One thing is for sure: the diameter of the bolts on the fronts is larger- looks to be 12mm. Will get detailed parts list as soon as I can! :)

stock it takes a 14mm socket doesn't it? so wouldn't that be a M14 stock? any bigger would have to be a M17 amirite?

Not to steal the thread but where are you guys getting your front knuckles from, and what did you pay for them? I got mine from Mentor Mitsu for $280 a side? I just figuired it would help for some other Joe Schmoe that wanted to do this swap?? I should get my calipers this week and start my swap??:) Good luck to all-

Do you happen to have the part numbers for them?

Those are the wrong knuckles. Good luck in getting your money back.

I heard you need new axles in order to match the spindle count on the JDM knuckles. Can anyone confirm this?

I heard you need new axles in order to match the spindle count on the JDM knuckles. Can anyone confirm this?

What are you even talking about spindle count nonsense? Why would you have to get new axles? The axles don't even touch the knuckles. Just unbolt your wheel bearing and put it in the new knuckles.

Quick parts update, here is what is needed to bolt the front calipers up:

4x 12mm SS washers $0.48 each x4 = $1.92
4x 12mm SS lock washers $0.48 each x4 = $1.92
4x 12x1.75x35mm SS socket head bolts $3.00 each x4 = $12.00
SUBTOTAL: $15.84

Editing the post to include original parts list for rear caliper hardware:

4x SS hex key bolts: M10x25x1.50 $2.60 each x 4 = $10.40
4x SS flat washers: M10 $0.55 each x4 = $2.20
4x SS lock washers: M10 $0.55 each x4 = $2.20
SUBTOTAL: $14.80

GRAND TOTAL FOR ALL SS HARDWARE: $30.64 + tax ~ $33.00

Although this might seem a little bit pricey, keep in mind that this hardware requires no cutting of bolts, is all high grade SS, includes lockwashers all around, and uses socket cap bolts (which I prefer over hex cap for this application). Also, if you noticed some of the prices don't exactly seem right (the 10mm washers were $0.07 more than the 12mm washers). This is because I had to go to a few different places to find all of this stuff, and they all differed by a little bit. Some of the hardware had to be special ordered. Although all of the hardware I have seen people use so far has seemed to be just fine, I think this hardware is the best. If there is enough interest from people thinking about doing the evo brake swap, I will consider going out and gathering up a few sets of hardware and selling them. Of course I will not really be making anything off of this, but it will save those of you who want some quality hardware to get it without all the running around I had to do. I think $45 shipped would cover it. If anyone is interested let me know.

Alright I finished my brake swap.

I will do my write up this evening, my hands are still healing >.< LOL!

One last thing no one mentioned was you need new ABS sensor housing bolts, the housing you bolt to the knuckle is shorter, so you need a new screw. I didn't notice that til i broke the small 10MM screw. (That may not be the size i will update in my walkthrough)!!

Anyways, brakes are fun, now I gotta figure out how to bleed them right, I did it evo style but that doesn't work on DSMs apparently, my pedal is really squishy.

oh well, easy bed in time :)

more to come!

Hideki said:
Being honest, while the EVO Brembo calipers bite really hard the pedal feel is less than expected, it's not spongy, but you can tell the factory GST master cylinder is not adequate for the Brembos.

I may have to look into the compatability of swapping the 2G master cylinder with the Evo's.

I just updated my previous post with a compete hardware list needed for bolting on the Evo calipers. All the prices are there, as well as specific sizes. I can get this stuff for people if they want it. I have most of the major pieces of the brembo swap, but still missing quite a few odds 'n' ends. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow.

How much is this costing you guys to do this whole swap? Is it less then what it would cost for these?TCE Performance Products - Producing Winning Results since 1993

Honestly, this swap is costing me quite a bit more than anticipated. The largest single cost were the calipers and knuckles. After looking around on Ebay for a couple of weeks, I felt like I got a decent deal when I picked up a set of calipers for $425 shipped. I liked them because they had very low miles, and I was confident I could use them without having to do an expensive rebuild first. However, like most evo brembos, the clearcoat was peeling a little bit. The knuckles cost me $415 shipped. When I looked back around on Ebay after getting my calipers I noticed most of them were going for about $500-600, and most did not include pads or the pins and retaining 'clip' (do not know the part name) that holds them in. Additionally, most of them did not include lines or rotors. From what I saw, a set of low mile brakes, complete with rotors, pads etc. ready to use was about $750 shipped. The pin kit for the brakes is about $50-60 for all four corners from what I remember. Lines I think are about $100 all around for SS ones. If I were to break the cost down for what I have put into it so far, it would look like this:

Stuff I have:
Calipers: $425
Knuckles: $415
Mounting hardware: $33
subtotal: $873

Stuff I need:
lines: $100
pad hardware: $60
pads: $200
rotors: $500
subtotal: $860
Grand total: ~ $1730

Now, the pads and rotors have a HUGE deviance in the price. A friend of mine bought 4 rotors off of ebay for just under $300, however, I would much rather go with Stock evo ones than ebay aftermarket ones. I have been looking but having a hard time finding some useable stock rotors. A friend gave me some factory rotors, but they were already a mm under before being resurfaced and completely wasted. Quality aftermarket ones will be $500+. In any case, I hope this helps break down the costs associated with doing this a little bit better. In my opinion, if I am going to be running Brembo brakes on my car, I cannot justify having any single component of the package be less than Brembo quality. Obviously other people might get better deals than I did on stuff as well, but I feel like I have been doing pretty well for myself so far. Hope this helps. :)

Dan

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back