The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Evo brake swap in a 2g help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str95tsi

Proven Member
Jun 19, 2014
Eugene/springfield, Oregon
I was going to up grade to a bigger brake set-up.
I came across a few things about evo break swap.
I figured id ask if anyone has dune this?
If so what needs to be dune to make it work.
And is it the best thing i can do to improve breaking on a 2g?
Also how much is this swap going to durn a hole in my pocket?
What size rims do i need to get it all to fit?
What galant from Japan has the right nuckel?
Also I'd like to get some input from people's experience whith this set-up.

I figured id ask if anyone has dune this?

Yes, people have done this.
If so what needs to be dune to make it work.

Depends. Evo 8-9 (Evo X front) front and rear calipers, rotors, pads.
Larger master cylinder and VR-4 knuckles or brackets.

And is it the best thing i can do to improve breaking on a 2g?
No
Also how much is this swap going to durn a hole in my pocket?
$600 and up.
What size rims do i need to get it all to fit?
Minumum 17" (depends on design and offset if they fit)
What galant from Japan has the right nuckel?
There is a member that has the correct sets ready to ship in the classifieds.

Also I'd like to get some input from people's experience whith this set-up.
Input regarding install, parts, or performance?
It is a popular brake upgrade for the DSM community. There are many, many, many threads regarding this topic.

The evo 5-9 will work straight on the X calipers need to be drilled on the knuckles as they use a bigger bolt. Plus you need 18" wheels for them 5-9 are 17" wheels.

Its ideally usefull to upgrade the master cylinder to the 3g units and booster aswell or grab an evo booster but this is not needed for the swap but the master cylinder is to get better pedal feel, the rear lines would need to be swapped and use a banjo fitting but the oem lines will work but i prefer the banjo fittings myself.

Cost can be anywhere from 500 for a set needing to be rebuilt or 700-900 for a fresh set sometimes more. plus which ever route you take to mount them as you got knuckles or adaptors.

Whats the best brake upgrade?

Dont get my rong the 2g stops quick but if i can get some competitive edge doing a full brake upgrade id like to do it soonish.

Well for money evo swap is great, alot of the full on.trsck.guys run evo calipers and they race against bigger brakes and still out do them. You can spend 4k on a set of brembo gt kis but it will be almost the same or if you want all out performance then alcon or ap racing! Good calipers but again you can get similer performance for slot less with the right pad and rotor choice

As for best, my choice would be AP Racing.

Whats the best brake upgrade?

Dont get my rong the 2g stops quick but if i can get some competitive edge doing a full brake upgrade id like to do it soonish.

Braking is just as tuned for what you with the car. Drag racing, I would assume you are wanting something small to reduce weight.

For street use, you would want a stock brake bias, and pads that are friendly to rotors and have a lower operating temperature range.

For Solo, you may look into adjusting brake bias to your liking (depending on class). You would also want pads that bite hard, but still have a low to moderate operating temperature range.

For track days, your will want a more aggressive pad that will work best with heat and reduce fade. The downside is that you can cook piston boots and eat up rotors. You may also decide to play with brake bias to suit your driving style.

If I were you, I would figure out your build (of the multiple threads you have started) and decide where you need to upgrade the brakes. Most could get away with using Outlander brakes to use a larger front rotor. Brake pad and rotor choice will have the biggest impact on how the car stops. Think of it like tires. Different tire designs and compounds can make a huge difference when paired correctly with the application/driving style. Brake fluid is one other item that is commonly overlooked with brake improvement/maintenance. This also is matched with the brake use. The way my car is driven, and the types of events I participate in have me bleed the system multiple times throughout the year.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back