The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Evo 8 Cam re-grinds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97gst_spyder

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
I'm starting a destroker build soon and want to work out all the part selection issues first before I start buying them.

I know Evo 8 cams work in a DSM 4g engine after a hole is drilled into the exhaust cam for the CAS. I also know that factory Evo 8 cams are hallow, so less mass to spin.

Can Evo 8 cams be re-ground just like DSM cams? Has anyone done this before? Can you get the same cam profile as the DSM, like HKS 272?

Thanks for any help!!

I'm starting a destroker build soon and want to work out all the part selection issues first before I start buying them.

I know Evo 8 cams work in a DSM 4g engine after a hole is drilled into the exhaust cam for the CAS. I also know that factory Evo 8 cams are hallow, so less mass to spin.

Can Evo 8 cams be re-ground just like DSM cams? Has anyone done this before? Can you get the same cam profile as the DSM, like HKS 272?

Thanks for any help!!

I can not answer your question but I would also like to know, my first idea is yes but can not tell for sure, maybe someone else can help us both.

Arrowhead

What would be the benefit of this over having your current cams reground? Would the little amount of weight saved be worth the gains, if any at all? Im going to lean towards no because deleting your balance shafts only adds 5 to to 12, and that's a lot more rotating mass removed.

What would be the benefit of this over having your current cams reground? Would the little amount of weight saved be worth the gains, if any at all? Im going to lean towards no because deleting your balance shafts only adds 5 to to 12, and that's a lot more rotating mass removed.

Any little bit helps.

I plan on rev'ing my 2.1 to atleast 9k. So I think every little bit helps even more.

About any cam can be re-ground.

Doubtfull the stock evo8 cams can get reground to HKS 272 tho.
what happens is the cam grinder grinds on the base circle of the cam, not much can be done to add much duration or change the LCA, but adj. cam gears will help with that a bit.

Also by being that the base circle is what is ground on, adjustments need to be done to the valve train, tip height, then spring installed height.

If you have more questions, find Delta Cam
DSM Forums - View Profile: Delta Cam

He is a cam grinder and will be able to awnser your questions more in depth.

I just found out that FFWD sells Evo 8 cams that are re-ground to 264/272/280 specs.

The lower weight is not for the hp gain. Its the rev up speeds.

For not getting real HKS cams. They just as heavy as stock cams. They are not hollow.

For the valve train needs. Shims is all.

The lower weight is not for the hp gain. Its the rev up speeds.

For not getting real HKS cams. They just as heavy as stock cams. They are not hollow.

For the valve train needs. Shims is all.

Seriously....do you have an 8 second car? I would bet that you wouldnt even notice a spool difference.
This to me is the equivalent of gutting a street car.

No I do not. Currently its not even a 13.9 car. I'm building a 2.1 destroker to go into the car after I finish the awd swap...

Do it. Don't listen to the wet blankets, Some people can't get past the "I'm too lazy to do it so why would anyone else" attitude. I would like to see it done. 5-10 hp gained just from the lighter rotational mass? Some platforms are hoping for 10 hp with performance cams that add duration and lift, LOL

Do it. Don't listen to the wet blankets, Some people can't get past the "I'm too lazy to do it so why would anyone else" attitude. I would like to see it done. 5-10 hp gained just from the lighter rotational mass? Some platforms are hoping for 10 hp with performance cams that add duration and lift, LOL

I come more from the "do it right the first time with proven products crowd"

Re-grinds have been proven for decades also...

I come more from the "do it right the first time with proven products crowd"

I've seen those "tried and true" builds, and so has everyone else. Its no mystery how to build a decent 4g63, and no one is breaking any new ground there. At this point, I'm much more interested in hollow camshafts in a dsm than I am about how to make a 16g bolt to a 2g. I would like to see someone do something new, and evo 8 regrinds would be new. How else is original content going to expand on this site? By your cookie cutter build blog?

BTW - Heres the weights....

OEM EVO VIII (non-mivec) - Hollow Cored, Chilled Cast
2lbs 15.8oz

HKS 264's - Chilled Cast
4lbs 2.9oz - you can probably take off like 0.5oz for the plastic wrap, but even at 4lbs 2.4oz it's kind of chubs

I've seen those "tried and true" builds, and so has everyone else. Its no mystery how to build a decent 4g63, and no one is breaking any new ground there. At this point, I'm much more interested in hollow camshafts in a dsm than I am about how to make a 16g bolt to a 2g. I would like to see someone do something new, and evo 8 regrinds would be new. How else is original content going to expand on this site? By your cookie cutter build blog?

Very great point, and im with you on that! It would be nice to see something different around here rather than the same blah as usual!

Good luck OP keep us updated on the progress, its very interesting.

I say give it a try. It sounds like you have it planned out. Everything that has been proven was tried for the first time at some point. If you see some gains and the price is similar to just a cam upgrade, maybe this will become the norm. Part of the cookie cutter builds.

Lighter is lighter, 4lbs of cam weight has to gain something, even if its only better longevity of valve train components.

Highest HP 4g63 engine (from 2007) - Page 10 - evolutionm.net

Here's an oldie but goodie...some guys who decided....hollow cams...hmmmm... evo 8 cams are too heavy...lets make some hollow TITANIUM cams. Way outside the "tried and true" build method. But thats what you do when you want to do things nobody else has done before, LOL. Usually the record breakers aren't using "tried and true" methods. Hell, think about the reactions when the very first person came out and said "maybe spraying some water into my engine will make a difference".

OP, the idea has merit. If hollow camshafts didn't offer any benefits then Mitsubishi wouldn't have gone through the trouble of putting them in an EVO 8.

That guy also had a titanium crank and a 4 disk clutch that's smaller than a cam gear...

Your best bet would be to call up Delta Cams and see if they can regrind the profile you want onto those cams. They would know for sure. And judging by some of the prices I've seen them offer before, they would also be the ones I'd suggest to have do it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back