The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Everything shuts down when I try to turn the ignition

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Token11b

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 23, 2011
Goodyear, Arizona
I have a 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD. It is basically stock except for a MBC, downpipe, and its lowered. First day I had it it was running great, would start up just fine and i was able to drive it. I come out the next day and try to start it and nothing. When I would turn the key, everything would shut down. I would then have to pop the hood, disconnect the battery and reconnect it. That would give me power back to my console and everything. When I try to turn the key it would die. I would have to repeat the process of disconnecting the battery, then reconnecting.

At first I thought something was draining my battery so i went and got it tested. Everything came up 0's across the board on my battery indicating it didnt have a charge at all. I went to go get a replacement battery a couple days later and they tested it and it came up that it had a full charge..... went home put it back in the car and same thing. Everything would shut down when i tried to turn the key. If I attach jumper cables to the car, I am able to start it just fine like that. Which has me stumped. Any help is appreciated. Where should I begin? Do you think its the alternator, something in the starter? Or what. :confused::confused:

Bump +1 i had the same problem before i took it in to the shop to have it done, i hope that problem goes away when i get it back.

do you have a dmm meter? if so do this following test.
Take the positive lead of your DMM and apply it to your positive terminal on your battery. take the negative and put it on your "M" terminal on your starter. see if you have any voltage. now disconnect your fuel pump relay out of your fuse box in your engine compartment. Try to start the car for 5 seconds. have another person check the voltage draw. if your voltage draw totally falls then yourr solenoid in your starter is your problem. Hope this helps.

The op is exactly what happened when my battery terminals got dirty.

Interior lights come on...go to turn the car on, everything dies.

All it took for mine was to clean off the posts and terminals really good with one of those wire tools, so I would start there

If you have corrosion on your battery terminals/posts pour a small amount of Coca-Cola Classic on there. Thats the regular brand of Coca-Cola, not sure if cherry/diet/caffiene free/ coke zero will work. I know most other brands of cola do not work.

It will eat all the corrosion off, rinse with bottled or purified water, then wipe clean.

If you use a wire tool you will take off some of the metal, and will have corroded terminals again in a few months.

My suggestion would be to clean your battery terminals, check your grounds and make sure they are not corroded as well. There should be one from the battery to the engine, and one from the battery to the chassis. Check both for corrosion or possible broken wires. I would also suggest checking your starter solenoid. There are a few methods to test your amperage draw when cranking your engine, but unless you have a good DMM your going to probably need to take it to a shop to see if its in your hot wire from the battery to the starter.

I would venture to say its likely your starter solenoid thats going out since your car will start off a jump, but not under its own power. Terminal corrosion could be the cause in that too as the jumpers from the other vehicle would drop the need of your own battery. But seeing that you have already replaced the battery, I doubt its corrosion and more likely the starter. Unless you never cleaned the terminal connectors that connect to the battery itself when u swapped them.

And I have seen people use dielectric grease on their battery posts to help cut down on corrosion. Just a thought. Good luck

I had the same problem.. I could put the key in, turn to ignition, dash light come on, dome lights come on, even headlight would come on. Go to start, everything dies until I let off the key, then power resumes.

I tested my battery ok, i even did an ohm test accross the battery connection all the way to the key and every tested fine.

In the end I replaced my battery terminals, and stripped back all the leads and replaced the ground wire to chassis. ALL fresh new copper connections and the problem went away. I should mention the connections looked great before I attempted this so I didn't suspect it the first time. I've seen way worse corrosion without a problem before. weird. You might want to trickle charge your battery again before you try this in case.

I did the coke method, disconnected all terminals cleaned out every bit of corrosion and she started right up! One problem down. Now to figure out if there is a parasetic drain somewhere just to be on the safe side. The previous owner in all his wisdom installed a fan toggle switch, went to start it with the toggle switch connected and it wouldnt start after the 4th start up. Disconnected the wire and it started right up. Im willing to guess that my potential drain and the root of my problem is this toggle switch he installed.

Thanks again for the help DSMTuners. You guys are a life saver :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back