The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

ETS Intercooler upgrade to 98 talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funk1

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 4, 2003
Commerce City, Colorado
Extreme Turbo Systems FMIC kit for 98 Talon.

I figured since everybody and their brother has a kit for a 2G eclipse, and there are what seems to be billions different versions available for them, I thought I would like to show a few pics of my install for a 98 Talon.

This kit is unusual because it retains the stock driving lights as well as keeps the factory AC fan setup. Here are a couple before and after shots. The kit is a very high quality kit, I had a very good experience with ETS. I would recommend their product to all.

I found the link to their products from an ebay add, but ordered the kit from their website (http://www.extremeintercoolers.com/) I purchased a modified version of their street kit, and it went together very well. I could post more pics if anyone is interested.

The core dimensions of this kit are : 20"X7"X3" Bar and plate type core with 2" end tanks. All piping is 2.5" (with the exception of the J-Pipe,) and is set up for a Greddy Type S BOV.

If you would like more details on the install feel free to PM me.

FWIW.

FH
Aurora CO.

Attachments

• 98 Talon FMIC Install 112006 122c (1).jpg
    98 Talon FMIC Install 112006 122c (1).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,071
  • 98 Talon FMIC Install 112006 122a (20).jpg
    98 Talon FMIC Install 112006 122a (20).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 98 Talon FMIC install 112025a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112025a.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 98 Talon FMIC install 112064a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112064a.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,052
JR is an Awesome guy and his customer service is 2nd to none.

I bought one of his first ever 2G kits over 3 years ago and its still in great shape.

Nice to see that he's making a kit that accomdates the 2G Talon Fog's.

A few shots of the intercooler piping after the install would also be nice. :)

ETS IC Pipe routing pics 1

Attachments

• 98 Talon FMIC install 112029a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112029a.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 948
  • 98 Talon FMIC install 112026a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112026a.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 946
  • 98 Talon FMIC install 112024a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112024a.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 948
  • 98 Talon FMIC install 112023a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112023a.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 978
Pics of the upper pipes...

Attachments

• 98 Talon FMIC install 112028a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112028a.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 920
  • 98 Talon FMIC install 112054a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112054a.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 964
  • 98 Talon FMIC install 112058a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112058a.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 903
Finally, a couple bumper trim pics and a custom lower panel I made to support the lower lip of the fascia, and to help direct air into the radiator.

Attachments

• 98 Talon FMIC install 112050a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112050a.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 879
  • 98 Talon FMIC install 112046a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112046a.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 882
  • 98 Talon FMIC install 112045a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112045a.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 888
  • 98 Talon FMIC install 112044a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112044a.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 906
I went to my local scrap steel scrapyard, and was hoping to pick up some aluminum sheet (pref .062) But they would only sell whole sheets. too much $$ for a small panel such as this.

My only other choice was stainless, and it was very difficult to cut / bend. Since I didn't have a press brake at my disposal, I had to do it the old fashioned (hard) way. 2 peices of angle iron clamped together, a hammer, and a lot of banging. It has some hammer marks on it, but I guess I will have to live with that. I used the factory metal strip supporting the lower edge of the fascia, cut it up into small pieces so I could use the nuts as nutplates. I pop-rivited those onto the panel so I could bolt the fascia to the panel.

On the backside, where the panel meets the chassis, I drilled and tapped to holes in the chassis to accept 1/4-20 bolts. I used stainless hardware here.

I might remake the panel some day if I can find some aluminum sheet pretty cheap. That will allow me to make the panel fit more snug to the contours of the underside of the car.

FWIW.

A quick shot of the engine bay:

Attachments

• 98 Talon FMIC install 112061a.jpg
    98 Talon FMIC install 112061a.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 959
As far as well put together kits go, you can't beat JR's kits. I used to live a few minutes from him and I went to pick my kit up and got a little walk around of the shop and those guys are just like the rest of us. They love to race and add FI on vehicles.

I would buy another kit from him any day of the week. He went out of his way to make sure I was completly happy and when the time came to change over to a gm maft he gladly changed out my piping for me( for a small powder coating fee).:thumb:

droppinbottom said:
As far as well put together kits go, you can't beat JR's kits. I used to live a few minutes from him and I went to pick my kit up and got a little walk around of the shop and those guys are just like the rest of us. They love to race and add FI on vehicles.

I would buy another kit from him any day of the week. He went out of his way to make sure I was completly happy and when the time came to change over to a gm maft he gladly changed out my piping for me( for a small powder coating fee).:thumb:

Yup! Exactly what I experienced. (I didn't walk through his shop etc.) all my dealings with him were over the phone, but he was very willing to work with me. and He toldme that if the core didn't fit, to send it back to him, and he would make it right.

All in all, a very good purchasing experience. I would definitely purchase another kit from them.

Just as an FYI,

I spoke to JR this afternoon regarding a bad clamp, (It stripped out on me) and he asked me which clamps I had. I told him they had "ETS" on them, and he mentioned that these were a set of faulty clamps, and would immediately send out a complete new set at no cost. I was shocked! My intention was to just order a new clamp, and pay whatever the cost was plus shipping to my new address...

Again, another reason to do business with ETS. they have been very good about supporting their product! :thumb:

FWIW.

FH

We have had JR build us 6 custom kits. We run I believe another 4 or 5 off the shelf kits. He is our lone partial sponsor. So we get half way decent deals with him. THe intercooler in my mirage I designed and he built. Same with the one on our 2G. Excellent guy with a very good business. Can accomodate anything you guys can think of.

Steven

Oh yea, I live in colorado as well.

I run one of his 10.5" kits and on those pages that's my car labeled as the "recirculated type s". I love the kit and I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one to have problems with the ETS clamps. I absolutely destroyed 2 of them while on a tuning session one day. I mean I split them in half. I'm sorry to say that my car hasn't quite lived up the potential of its parts yet but as soon as I can keep it on the road long enough for a decent tune I can hopefully put up some numbers as good as Ty's.

I got his race kit on my 97 talon.I did have to give up my fogs but such is life.You sacrifice a few things to have big hp potential in your car sometimes.
The intercooler did take quite a bit of bumper cover trimming but I could keep my bumper support with minor maybe 1/2 to inch notch in it.I wanted to keep the bumper support.
I had some problems as I have jm fab intake and JR helped me to get it right.Like everyone says,great guy,great company to deal with ,great workmanship and first class powdercoating, beaded pipes,etc. No complaints.Actually bought a core from him for my 92 talon but never used it.
Here are some pics of the big race intercooler on a talon.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Those were temp hangers I used nicer ones he suppled for the final install.
I trimmed my hood support back a bit to get the intercooler farther back and went a bit too far and it got too weak but a piece or 1 inch or so wide strip steel fixed that up just fine.

Nice setup!

I seriously wanted to go with a bigger core, but I figured with my HP goals (300 HP at the wheels) and the EVOIII 16G this one was plenty. I really don't have any ambitions of going to a bigger turbo. (At least not at this point.) But I supplemented my ETS IC setup with an Aquamist 1S Water injection setup injected at the TB Elbow. (Not that it needs it, but I had it with my Alamo SMIC, and on a hot day I figured it will be good insurance.)

Speaking of hot days, Have you experienced any overheating issues with that core? If you have, what have you done to alleviate the problem? We had a guy in our local club with a 97 Talon, who had terrible over heating issues when he installed his FMIC. He never could get the issue resolved, and finally decided to sell his car.

In the future, I am considering running some steel braided lines from the Oil outlet tap (the one on the oil filter housing) and then running a nice B&M or Setrab oil cooler in line to the turbo mounted where my old sidemount was located.

FWIW

I have had no overheating problems with my bigger core.I have FP3065 and push it pretty hard sometimes but don't have my snow performance meth injection installed yet next season. Car is away for winter.

I have slimline fal fans. I can fire on both of them at once with my dsmlink.I can even control when they come on temp wise by playing with my dsmlink or force them to run continuously when car is turned on. I have standard 195 stat in there but think go to 180 degree stat next summer.I may add some water wetter.Temp stays very steady though on hottest days.When first got the new 2.4 engine and combo up and running I did have bad overheat but that was due to sticking new mits therm.oh and I have 1g therm and 2.4 6 bolt motor in there. So it is a stock 195 stat not 180 like 2gs have.

I wanted a huge intercooler since went to a bit turbo bit hp setup.
No complaints there. I can't run that much timing right now with even this intercooler on the pump 92 gasohol best we can get around here.I will be running much more timing and leaner and more boost on meth next year.

I have had no overheating problems with my bigger core.I have FP3065 and push it pretty hard sometimes but don't have my snow performance meth injection installed yet next season. Car is away for winter.

I have slimline fal fans. I can fire on both of them at once with my dsmlink.I can even control when they come on temp wise by playing with my dsmlink or force them to run continuously when car is turned on. I have standard 195 stat in there but think go to 180 degree stat next summer.I may add some water wetter.Temp stays very steady though on hottest days.When first got the new 2.4 engine and combo up and running I did have bad overheat but that was due to sticking new mits therm.oh and I have 1g therm and 2.4 6 bolt motor in there. So it is a stock 195 stat not 180 like 2gs have.

I wanted a huge intercooler since went to a bit turbo bit hp setup.
No complaints there. I can't run that much timing right now with even this intercooler on the pump 92 gasohol best we can get around here.I will be running much more timing and leaner and more boost on meth next year.

Cool, Thanks for the info.. Thats what I was thinking, if I start to see some overheating issues I will use my DSMLINK to turn on both fans. So far it doesn't seem to be a problem, but the weather has been reasonably cool ~50s and below. Next summer will be the true test.

Nice setup!

Um, we have never had a single problem with overheating since Max Draco sold us the car. We even ran our 4" thick intercooler for a while last summer on the streets with no issues. A good cooling system tune up should do the trick. We have a 2G with a stock radiator with the race kit from ETS. He runs an Evo III as well and even sometimes during the summer his coolant temperatures won't go above 175*. Right now his car will not go into open loop with it being so cold out.

Steven

PS here is what our kit looks like. Licencse plate is no longer on the front of the car. Car has been repainted.

Um, we have never had a single problem with overheating since Max Draco sold us the car. We even ran our 4" thick intercooler for a while last summer on the streets with no issues. A good cooling system tune up should do the trick. We have a 2G with a stock radiator with the race kit from ETS. He runs an Evo III as well and even sometimes during the summer his coolant temperatures won't go above 175*. Right now his car will not go into open loop with it being so cold out.

Steven

PS here is what our kit looks like. Licencse plate is no longer on the front of the car. Car has been repainted.

How funny!

Yup Max Is the guy I was talking about. Ironically he is the one I bought my Aquamist 1S and Alamo SMIC from. I will never forget the ride he gave me in his car back when I still had my SM 16G. It felt like two totally different cars! Now with the EVOIII 16G, Mine feels a little more like his did back then.

So what all have you done to the car since you bought it from him? What color did you paint it? What sorts of times are ya running?

Cool. :thumb:

FH

Same color. Um, you don't even want to know what is done to it. This picture should explain it all. Will be heading to Las Vegas shortly to try for a deep 9 second pass. Car was on its way to a low 10 second pass at the shootout before the fuel pressure regulator ruptured. Car is nothing like you have ever seen. Or at least not like you last saw it. 16 point cage and more.

Same color. Um, you don't even want to know what is done to it. This picture should explain it all. Will be heading to Las Vegas shortly to try for a deep 9 second pass. Car was on its way to a low 10 second pass at the shootout before the fuel pressure regulator ruptured. Car is nothing like you have ever seen. Or at least not like you last saw it. 16 point cage and more.

HOLY COW!!! What the heck is that thing!!? What turbo is that? It's practically bigger than the engine!! LOL!

Have you talked about this on any of the other local lists? (codsm/rmdsm)? I'll have to go back and look at those threads to see what all you have done.

Good luck on your quest! (Giving any rides?? ) ;) I would love to see what a 10 sec car feels like!

Thanks.

FH

Not saying anything to the locals. I only participate on rmdsm.org. We aren't interested in the 10's. We are interested in going into the 8 second range ultimately. It's a GT4202R. No rides. Just one aluminum kirkey seat.

Steven

I have been running the ETS 7" kit for a long time...I like it a lot, altho Ive had my share of problems with it....At least I get to keep the fogs and bumper support ;)

BTW, I also stripped some ETS T-bolt clamps....Such a pain in the ass, had to run over to AMS and get a whole new set

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back