The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Engine/Tranny install need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kj2fast4u92

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2011
Shenandoah, Iowa
Hey everyone i'm new here. I have a 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. Its a nice looker check out my photo i'll have more soon. Anyways when i bought it the previous owner had just built a mildly upgraded non turbo 4g63 for it. somewhere near 190 hp. Anyways it turns out he put in a rod bearing backwards and it spun. So i went out and bought a JDM used motor and put all the extra goodies from the old motor onto the new.
But now i'm stuck. I had a mechanic take the car apart to see what was wrong and before you know it the whole motor is sitting in the back in pieces, the tranny is in the passenger seat, and all the bolts are in a big box. So now that i have the new motor i ask the mechanic to install it and he's backed up for like 2-3 weeks. Well i'm sick of waiting so i'm thinking of doing it on my own. I've done a few RWD motor pull-rebuild-installs on fox body mustangs i've owned in the past but nothing FWD before.
I was hoping someone could help me find diagrams showing which bolts to use for which mounts and stuff like that. I can handle the fuel and electronics on my own but i have no clue how to find the right bolts out of a big box full.
Also i have heard different opinions on how to install it. Some have told me to lift the car and put it in from the bottom, and some have told me to get the crossmember in and set it on that and go from there. All help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 174197116_944098.jpg
    174197116_944098.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 178
I'd say put the motor and trans in from the top.
Ironic that you have them stripes on your car. Some old Mopar guys do the motor from the bottom too. I do mine from the top. Here is a pic of my Mopar.

Attachments

• side 'Cuda.jpg
    side 'Cuda.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 169
ok thanks i'll do that. and on the stripe looking a little mopar, i had noticed that on a few new challengers lately. and your car looks real nice, i love muscle cars i just dont have the budget for one. actually i bought the car from a guy who runs a in home vinyl shop and he had made up that design and put it on the car for free. i thought it was a nice touch and made the car a little more unique looking without making it look too "ricey". the car also has a factory spoiler with the rear wiper and antenna shaved which looks really nice.

normally im fan of dropping the car onto the motor while it sits on a dolly but that only works for hondas...after doing this two or three times ive come to the conclusion that the swap is best dropped from the top..AS A WHOLE. put the tranny and the motor together and drop it in as one. bolts that hold the tranny and the motor together are 17mm.

if it was a 2g i could have given you alot more information and definitly more in depth but i have little experience with 1g. i will tell you this, look into buying a mount kit made from avid it will make the install alot easier SPECIALLY WITH THE DRIVER SIDE and hey mounts are a nice upgrade.

good luck

bolts that hold the tranny and the motor together are 17mm.

if it was a 2g i could have given you alot more information and definitly more in depth but i have little experience with 1g.

Then stop giving false information. There are a total of 4 bolts that hold the trans to the block. 1 is M10x43.5mm, 1 is M10x40mm, another is M10x65, all having 14mm heads, while the 4th one, located on the driver side of the trans, is a M8x65mm, with a 12mm head.

ok so i get the put the engine and tranny together first thing that makes sense, those bolts i can figure out. but i cant seem to find which size bolts to use on the cantermember and the mounts. i think some may be MIA and then ill need new ones.

also i put one of the half shafts back in the tranny already and its the right one for the right side so it doesnt really matter but when i pulled on it it wouldnt come back out so i was just curious as to how these are removed.

p.s. check out the new pics i have uploaded i have one of the motor before it was pulled as well as a picture of my costom headliner with the mitzu triple diamond inlay

Then stop giving false information. There are a total of 4 bolts that hold the trans to the block. 1 is M10x43.5mm, 1 is M10x40mm, another is M10x65, all having 14mm heads, while the 4th one, located on the driver side of the trans, is a M8x65mm, with a 12mm head.

your right they are 14mm bolts, sorry i just put my motor back together but did my friends civic motor so i got confused i actually woke up to come fix my error

also i put one of the half shafts back in the tranny already and its the right one for the right side so it doesnt really matter but when i pulled on it it wouldnt come back out so i was just curious as to how these are removed.

p.s. check out the new pics i have uploaded i have one of the motor before it was pulled as well as a picture of my costom headliner with the mitzu triple diamond inlay

Take the axles out of the trans before you install. They will only get in the way when you drop the motor/trans in. Also, the pass. side axle pops into place and is held in by a big circlip on the end of the axle. We usually use a large prybar, place the end between the axle cup and the trans, and pop it out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back