The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Engine swap possible w/ auto awd trans left in vehicle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate Crisman

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2008
Blairstown, New_Jersey
Wondering of anyone has swapped an engine in a 1g awd automatic with the trans/axles staying in the engine bay. I'm wondering if it can be done this way, it would save a lot of time.

Umm, It could be done probably but I know from personal experience that even removing an engine block w/ the transmission still bolted to the chassis is not easy. It requires prying and jimmying crap that you would never see a trained technician doing (in front of a customer? LOL). The best bet is to just take the xfer case loose, and unbolt the whole thing together. This is how it's installed from the factory and it's actually not that difficult once you've done it a few times to fish it in to the engine bay all attached together.

I'd highly recommend against doing what you're talking about trying to do as it's just going to cause you headaches. I'm not even sure you would be able to install it this way as I was just kinda lucky in removing the motor this way.

I would think it would take LONGER leaving it all in there. too much to work around.

Ive done it on a 2g a few times and its just fine. If i remember, the 1g has just as much space between the front of the engine and the fender well. Leave the TC in the transmission and you'll have just enough room. Just remove all the accessory pulleys first and be sure to support the thing properly before removing any major bolts.

The torque converter likes to stick in the pilot bearing of the crank, just be ready for that as you are removing the engine.

Auto's are rather easy compared to 5 speeds when leaving the transmission in the car. You will have to remove the transfer case of coarse. It usually helps to remove the driver axle because you might have to lift the tranny up a bit. It really helps to remove the crank bolt and crank pulley for clearance.

I didn't remove my transfer case. Its a pita to get that lower torque converter cover / shield off. But imo, better than removing the t case. (again, I'm 2g so it could be different)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back