The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

ECMlink Engine stalls when clutch pedal is depressed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my98gsx

Supporting VIP
Aug 14, 2005
Wappingers, New_York
After doing a GM alternator swap on my GSX I developed a very frustrating issue. The car dies as soon as the clutch pedal is depressed... I did some research and this is what I've done thus far.

1. Cleaned the IAC, and reinstalled
2. Swapped the IAC for a brand new one
3. Checked for vaccume leaks
4. Ran new ground wires to the coil bracket and head.
5. Checked clutch fluid level.

I've seen several posts regarding this issue and I think I covered all the fixes already... now I'm stumped. Any help will be appreciated.

Video of the issue (car warmed up)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Check your crankshaft for end play. Jack the car up, remove driver's side wheel, grab ahold of the harmonic balancer and push it in and out.

Check your crankshaft for end play. Jack the car up, remove driver's side wheel, grab ahold of the harmonic balancer and push it in and out.
Oh god, I better not have any play I will he furious!!! I will give it a shot though. I will also try the alt unplugged.

This has never happened to any of my DSMs but I just experience this with my Evo. Pushed the clutch in after the vehicle was warmed up and the car would stall out. Turned out to be "crankwalk", crankshaft end play, worst case scenario. Block was scap, same with the crank. Had to replace the short block.

Last edited:
This has never happened to any of my DSMs but I just experience this with my Evo. Pushed the clutch in after the vehicle was warmed up and the car would stall out. Turned out to be "crankwalk", crank shape end play, worst case scenario. Block was scap, same with the crank. Had to replace the short block.
On an engine that does have crank walk, is it stalling because you’re slowing down the crank when you press the clutch in?

I was enjoying the last of my s2000 weather here in NY and wasn't working on the GSX's stalling problem until last night... I took all of the above mentioned ideas and did the following.

1. Checked for crankshaft play - none found (checked with clutch being depressed, slave cyl off, and with a pry bar no play found during each check) Engine has 504 miles on it, with a manley crank.
2. Unplugging alternator - Still stalls when clutch is depressed
3. Removal of all accessory belts - Ran the car without WP/PS/Alt - Still stalls
4. Checked mechanical timing to confirm ECMlink electrical timing - Spot on...

My friend who was helping me is a generator tech, and performed grounding/voltage testing with his multi meter. He found that my grounding was good, and that the new alternator is putting out almost 2 Volts more than the stock alternator at idle... I was lucky to get 12.8V with the mitsu unit, and now I am getting 14.5V with the Bosch/GM. With this added voltage going to my fuel pump is it possible this is causing the issue?? I am running quite rich now (12.6-low 13's) at idle, which was never seen prior to my alt swap. Although 12.6 at 1,000 rpm is quite rich I've seen cars idle without issue even fatter than this...

I am totally lost at this point... any other ideas anyone?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back