The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Engine bay is getting too hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LidnDom

Proven Member
Jan 13, 2014
Tampa, Florida
The heat in my engine bay made the paint on my hood bubble up. I don't have a heat shield for my manifold or the heat shield that should be attached to the hood. So far I'm going to heat wrap my exhaust manifold and downpipe. Would gold reflective tape be an effective replacement for the factory heat shield that goes underneath the hood? Any other ideas for reducing temperatures inside the bay?

have you thought about cutting two holes on your front bumper? I personally don't like the look of it but I know a lot of dsm'ers do the two nose-like holes to control heat issues. I can't give my two cents with the wrap because I haven't tried it out yet. Although I should look into it. Also try keeping both fans on at all times. Not sure if that would make much difference since it seems like your car is overheating pretty bad.

I have issues here in vegas. I took out the weather stripping in front of the windshield, and raise the back of the hood up by adding washers underneath the hood hinges. It's been working great for me. Heat wrap would help.

You could try and call your local mitsu stealership and see if you can buy one of the under hood heat shields. Heat wrap should help with the engine bay temps. You could also get your manifold ceramic coated if it isn't already.

I had my fp manifold ceramic coated by detective coating after a year it still looks really nice. I wouldn't want to put holes in my bumper either. If you have any questions or are trying to hit a car show feel free to send me a message.

The heat in my engine bay made the paint on my hood bubble up. I don't have a heat shield for my manifold or the heat shield that should be attached to the hood. So far I'm going to heat wrap my exhaust manifold and downpipe. Would gold reflective tape be an effective replacement for the factory heat shield that goes underneath the hood? Any other ideas for reducing temperatures inside the bay?
Do you have a FMIC on your car? Im assuming you do.

Jegs sells a reflective tape in sheets that stick to the bottom of your hood, you can cut to fit the small areas too. I put that on the bottom of my hood above the manifold and put the stock/oem piece over that which attaches to the hood. I did that and my manifold was about an inch away from my hood, I never had a problem with the paint. The hood still got hot but the paint never bubbled or faded.

If you are located somewhere with a lot of humidity I would stay away from the regular header wrap. not sure about the gold stuff on exhaust components. I have only heard about it on the cold side. however heat shields are a wonderful thing, there are a few aftermarket options for it.

There is heat shield mat that you can buy and cover the hood with it on the underside made by DEI. It's a fiber mat which you can stick it with high temp spray. I use it on my racecar quite successfully for the underbody.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back