The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

dsmlink & injector question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

210 dsm

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2007
san antonio, Texas
im looking into getting dsmlink. i actually already have the ecu out since the cars sitting right now. and after all the research ive done i juast need to be sure of one thing.
when your ordering the socket service from the dsmlink website it will ask you what injector size you will be running. well, right now they are stock size and when the cars ready to run again i want to have dsmlink on it. which will be in 3 - 6 weeks. but in the near future i will switching to FIC's 1000cc with a supporting fuel system. so what will happen if i order the service with the stock injector size then later switch to a higher volume injector? will i be able to re-set the ecu somehow to properly operate the 1000cc's or should get the FIC injectors now and order the socket service with the 1000cc.

In my personal opinion I'd mod your car first and then tune it. If it's mainly stock now DSMLINK won't do much for you alone.

If you do though, get the chip burned for the 1000cc's. It only takes a few seconds to change the size to stock on your computer.

Yeah, you can change the injector settings youurself as many times as you want. My friends stock car picked up .3 in the 1/4 with just adding dsmlink since he could mess with the air/fuel ratio and timing.

In my personal opinion I'd mod your car first and then tune it. If it's mainly stock now DSMLINK won't do much for you alone.

I'm of the exact opposite opinion. The sooner you get DSMLink on the car, the easier it is to get a baseline when the car is running good and unmolested. It helps a ton when tuning when you have prior logs and numbers to refer to.

Yeah, you can change the injector settings youurself as many times as you want. My friends stock car picked up .3 in the 1/4 with just adding dsmlink since he could mess with the air/fuel ratio and timing.

Not to mention the dual stage rev limiter and anti-lag if you are brave enough to use it.

I loved the gains DSMlink gave me even when I still had the t-25 on.

Not to mention the dual stage rev limiter and anti-lag if you are brave enough to use it.

I loved the gains DSMlink gave me even when I still had the t-25 on.

This is true, but not for my friend that knocked off .3. He doesn't like stutterbox for some reason. He now has a 640whp evo IX with AEM and won't use stutterbox.

Well you definitely have to launch differently with a stutterbox. I know that my 16g spools up fast enough that I prefer to just keep the RPMs steady with my right foot. Maybe with a laggier turbo, I'll warm up to it.

Why keep tuning it though when you can do it once and be done once you're done building it.

Becuase your never "done". Because you cant run a 35R without fuel, and you cant run more fuel without a way to control it, to control it you use DSMlink. So you build backwards. You support first then build. And who has the monies to buy an Engine management system, fuel system, and turbo all at once. And if you did, you probably wont know how to install it and just dug yourself into a deep hole so you pay a shop, and then they toon in for you. Again...thats not really the DSM way, fastest, cheapest as possible is how we do it. So you get link first, play around with it a bit to learn it a bit, get as much as you can till that blow dryer becomes too small to make any power, step up a little to a good streetable turbo, and notice your fuel system isnt enough. Go big on the fuel system becuase controling is not an issue. Then you get bored of that street turbo and you go Big. By then you have a decent tool set, broken enough things and fixed them all, and you figure that at this point, everythings been broken and repaired or built stronger, you have a decent tool box, you know how to mess with timing and afr's, and you are ready to put that bad boy on.

Yeah, it makes it a lot easier to see what the next step needs to be.

Let's assume you bought an FP Green. Let's also assume that you had every part to go with it that you would need to support the turbo and run good times. You're saying that you should throw every single part on the car before trying to tune it all and make sure everything is actually running correctly. This isn't how modding cars works. You need to add one part at a time and make sure everything is running correctly before adding other parts, because additional parts will just complicate things. Tuning is part of ensuring that parts work correctly, so the sooner you can tune the car for the parts that it has, the better.

By the way, not to be a suck up, but all this info was available to me almost 10 years ago and very useful thanks to RRE's website. That was a huge source of information for me when I was starting out. I'm still using the small 16g I bought from them like 6 years ago.

so i can order dsmling base set for 1000cc injectors and when i instal it i can set it to stock 450's? and then reset to 650, 850 1000?

That is correct. With a 2g it will go back to the settings you ordered it with if the ecu loses power though. So you would want to save the tune to your laptop just in case the ecu loses power then you can just load the tune instead of tuning the car again.

Becuase your never "done". Because you cant run a 35R without fuel, and you cant run more fuel without a way to control it, to control it you use DSMlink. So you build backwards. You support first then build. And who has the monies to buy an Engine management system, fuel system, and turbo all at once. And if you did, you probably wont know how to install it and just dug yourself into a deep hole so you pay a shop, and then they toon in for you. Again...thats not really the DSM way, fastest, cheapest as possible is how we do it. So you get link first, play around with it a bit to learn it a bit, get as much as you can till that blow dryer becomes too small to make any power, step up a little to a good streetable turbo, and notice your fuel system isnt enough. Go big on the fuel system becuase controling is not an issue. Then you get bored of that street turbo and you go Big. By then you have a decent tool set, broken enough things and fixed them all, and you figure that at this point, everythings been broken and repaired or built stronger, you have a decent tool box, you know how to mess with timing and afr's, and you are ready to put that bad boy on.

ROFL amen bro!!! That is exactly the way it is done! hahaha!!! :thumb:

That is correct. With a 2g it will go back to the settings you ordered it with if the ecu loses power though. So you would want to save the tune to your laptop just in case the ecu loses power then you can just load the tune instead of tuning the car again.

Yeah, we 2g's don't have any battery backup, so think of the injector settings as the defaults. Whenever you disconnect the battery, it'll reset to those settings. It's just enough to get you running, a failsafe.

When you tune, you can set any size injectors you want. So you can easily change down the line. But when you disconnect the battery, you're back at your old settings. Then you just need to upload your new settings with your laptop, and you're back.

I bought my dsmlink for my mostly stock 2G. I had them do it for 450 injectors. I didn't know what I was going to have for injectors, and I figured that way at least I could run it now. If I upgraded injectors later (say, to 720cc's) then I'd have to change the settings. If the battery died, dsmlink would be back to 450's and I'd have to re-upload the 720 settings. A little inconvenient, but basically the injector settings shouldn't affect much in normal operation.

--And also, about "why not just tune once?" Seems risky for all the reasons others pointed out. I wanted to install dsmlink with the stock car, make sure it's running. Then install the new turbo, make sure it runs (tweak fuel a little). Then install new injectors and tune. Then the fuel pump, AFPR, downpipe/o2 housing, etc etc. A lot easier than throwing it all on at once, and not even knowing how to tune dsmlink stock, let alone with a whole bunch of new parts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back