The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Drivetrain noise when decelerating?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlashBack-Cro

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2011
Zagreb, Europe
First of all, excuse the bad English:)

I have this problem since I bought the car. It is a '91 Eclipse GSX.
When you slow down with the example of 4k rpm to 3k rpm the noise appears as woom woom woom. This all happens when the foot is removed from the clutch pedal.
I checked the oil in the center differential, rear. All ok.
It is interesting that I have changed the entire drivetrain from other Eclipse GSX 1991 (gearbox, center diff, rear diff and driveshaft), which I previously stabbed to drive and I have not heard any strange noises.
On my it was all right, I finally thought that was it. But after a week, slowly began to hear noises from the drivetrain. After a month, all the noise came back like before.
So the drive for 5 years. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I have a similar problem, but instead of a "woom woom woom" sound, it sounds like a thin plastic sheet hitting a fan when decelerating. I cant pinpoint the origin of the noise but I found that my right rear axle was missing its c-clip and the splines after the clip on the end had been sheared off. I replaced it with a donor axle and it had the clip and its in there good with no unordinary looseness but the car still makes the zzzzzz noise. Help...

Raised car in the air and found that the noise is coming from the transmission internals. Not bellhousing, its not the clutch chatter, or TOB, or anything with the clutch. This sound is only apparent when the car is decelerating whether its in gear or not, whether the clutch is pushed in or not. Thinking some kind of bearing or synchro, but its strange that the sounds happens only when delecerating, pressure or not on the gears. (when its in any gear or neutral).:confused:

Just really noticed my car making the exact same noise as the op's. Mine However only makes the sound while decelerating with the car in gear. If I coast to a stop in neutral however, no sound whatsoever.

Jacks transmissions states it could be the driveshaft vibrating due to an upgraded clutch. I'm still gonna have to look into this gear lash...or install my exhaust to drone it out.

Could be a number of things. like people have stated, lash, excessive play in the driveline, or maybe even a wheel bearing. When was the last time you changed the fluid in the rear diff? Any easy way to check the driveline is to turn it by hand with the car in gear and feel for excessive play.

Its not a wheel bearing for sure. I think maybe a rock got inside. Is that possible? I found that little rubber breather plug was missing and a bunch of little rocks near it, is it possible that could be a problem? I think the sound would be more consistent though. Ill try putting it in gear and turning the driveshaft and let you guys know. Also I just did a recent rear differential oil change along with the transfer case and transmission, no metal flakes before. And I pulled the end cover to check for any problems before digging deeper, still nothing. I can even hear it with my exhaust, happens when i coast really slow in or out of gear. Let you know on the driveshaft therapy haha.:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back