The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Draining gas, should I add any additives

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHerron

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2011
Missoula, Montana
My 2G GSX has been sitting in a garage for 5 years. Temps from -20f to 90f.

About half a tank full of fuel.

My plan is to simply disconnect the HP line running to the fuel rail, power up the fuel pump and empty the line into a gas can.

Then I'd change the fuel filter and add fresh gas.

Should I add any additives to clean the system?

Do you think my injectors really need to be cleaned?

Is there anything else recommended within any of these steps?

Or is that about all I can do?

Thanks!

Seafoam heavy in a half tank will help clean any residue if you are worried.

Make sure to use a spare battery when priming the pump as it will drain your current one really quickly. You don't have to drain all of it, just most of it. My car sat for 14 years when I bought it and all I did was add some injector cleaner additive and run it around town.

Alternatively you can take the fuel pump hanger assembly out and suck the fuel out from there + give the inside of the tank a thorough inspection and possibly scoop up any residue you can see/reach.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back