The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

dodge neon motor into a 2g 420a

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95eclispe

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 31, 2011
Brooklyn, New_York
Ok so my motor just crapped out on me since the piston rings went bad and the lifters went bad all at once. Im kind of short on cash right now so my only option was to drop a junker in there to get by with til I rebuild it. The salvage yard I got the engine from first sell me one with 160k miles so i sent it back. Then they send me another one but when I got to the shop they sent it to it looks nothing like mine. Now i dont know what to do since my car is at the shop on a lift with no engine and the yard sent me a neon engine :)ohdamn:)because they are retards. The mechanic says he can make it work but honestly i think its too much tearing apart instead of just dropping in the RIGHT one. I dont even think the harness will fit on top of moving everything around if it can even be done. what you think guys? The yard guy is saying he will get me another engine but i just want my car out the shop its been there since friday and the yard guy refuses to give me back my money.:banghead:

mine is a 420a and the one they sent me by the look of it and vin# its a y series which should be 2.0 dohc. I know so parts between the neon are compatible if they are both dohc but im not sure about doing a whole motor swap. Im just frustrated because I paid for a motor I just wanted to drop in no additional work necessary.

Pretty much everything on the neon motor is reversed besides the cam gears.

Last edited:
A neon motor can be made to fit easly, you just need to swap the head from your blown motor (after refreshing it) onto the neon bottom end. Swapping sensors on the bottom end aswell (oil pressure, knock, and crank). Oil pan will need to be swapped aswell as the neon doesn't have a notch for the exhaust.

The neon will have slightly lower compression, but will work with out trouble. Its up to you if you want to pay for the extra work and get your car back on the road ASAP, or if you want to wait for an engine that will require less work/parts and cost less (assuming the shop isn't charging storage).

Keep on the JY till they get you the right engine.

You should not have to swap around the whole engine bay.

yea ive already had enough headaches on this build and its mostly been maintenance which sucks since i wanna start my rebuild. I know the intake and exhaust are reveres and the t-stat housing. Also the air intake is much different on the neon.
I don't actually think they are. Don't hold me to it. I did read an e bay ad for one saying it would fit either neon or eclipse and it was a stocker. I'm just going by memory but it looks a lot like the one I had on my old r/t neon.

Regardless of if it will, it's your car and unless you had earlier planned the swap don't do it... It will change everything about the car. It would fit, but would you want it to? I mean 420a's are easy to come by, most eclipse part outs I see have one. I got a 420a longblock up in Canada LOL, but thats a lot of shipping. Keep on them, get what you want or report the shop!

Just to do the swap to the neon block the shop wants 900 installed!!! thats crazy. If it was warmer Id get out and hunt down the motor myself and even put it in but right now i dont have a hoist and its 10 degrees outside. Im going back to the JY today until I work something out with them since i paid for an eclipse motor not garbage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back