The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

DKS lifter shim install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes under the HLAs.

Keep in mind they are not always needed.

Thanks guys. Just wanted to be sure. How do I check whether they're needed? I understand that I need to be in the middle third of operating range but what procedure should I use to measure?

I got these used so no instructions.. I got the shims as a set from ffwd, and the cams have been micropolished/mic'd. So I should be good to go once I figure out the install.

It hard to say, depends more on if the head has had a valve job or three in its life, and what the valve tip height is.

If it is sitting close to the max tip height, then the shims should not be needed.

If they are closer to min height, then the shims will be needed.

The exhaust side is commonly closer to the min height I have found, on factory built heads.

So if you are guessing, I would just shim the exhaust side to start with.

So I should bleed the lifters and install with shims, but is there a way to tell other than by eye whether they are closer to min or max height?

Also off topic but don't want to start a thread: to remove/install the balance shaft belt on a 6 bolt do I need to remove the timing belt gear from the crank? There seems to be a metal plate between the balance gear and the timing gear, and it's preventing me from getting a belt onto the balance (innermost) crank gear.

My flywheel is off currently so I don't have a way to grip the crank. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to wait and reinstall the trans/starter and bump it off if I need to remove the crank timing gear.

It's a jdm longblock if it makes any difference..

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back