The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

DIY VHT Nightshades and clear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For a while now I've wanted to black out my tails. So here's a article on how to do it.
You will need these things.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You will need to grab your sandpaper, and wet sand so you can get the factory clear off. You do this so the paint will stick. A lot of people don't take the time to prep it. The prep is critical. You have to wet sand it or you will leave scratches.

Here's a pic of one sanded and the other is not. Notice how the one that is sanded looks dull.

Now this is when you want to bring out the can of Nightshades. You want to do one coat at a time. I however did 5 coats total. You choose the number of coats based on how dark. I however wanted it black as I could get. You should do 1 coat when it dries. I know you can be eager to get it done. But just wait. I waited 30 minutes between coats. It won't look dark at first. But trust me, it gets dark over time.

After all the coats were done, I chose to wet sand again to get all the scratches and stuff out like dust particles. After doing this it looked really dull. This is why you need to clear coat it. You will want to clean it after you sand to get the clear to stick. I just cleaned it with soap and water.

Now its time to clear. I sprayed a lot of coats. I used almost a whole bottle. The more coats you use, the glossier it will look. I had a hard time finding something that made it look like a mirror. I chose the clear I did because it was cheap and seemed decent. You could also use the Krylon clear. Here are some pics of it cleared. When I was choosing a clear coat, I was trying to find something that would work. So TSIturbo95 helped me find a clear coat. Blurredtalon also gave some pointers.

I am also going to purchase LEDs online for my tails, so they appear brighter. I'll install them on the car when I get the LEDs. Hope you like it.

Please note that this is illegal in most states. Do this at your own risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
So just some updated pics without LEDs.
Just to compare the two.

To see the light. Keep on mind the lighting is bad and this is a cell pic. You can't really see the light but its brighter in person.

And here's both lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back