The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Diversion 165/180 users.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamble97

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 3, 2006
small town, Illinois
So I came across this post a long time ago
Some great modification for the Diversion 165 Tig - OFN Forums
This guy has a Miller diversion 165 and changed out the torch handle/body and cable and said it was a good upgrade. I never thought too much about it, but recently it's becoming more and more popular and the results are nothing short of fantastic. Small easier to hold torch, and a cable that is WAY more flexible and doesn't pull on your wrist while welding. After all you want to be comfortable while welding.
So a few other guys on weldingweb.com did this and said how much they loved it. So I decided eh WTF let's try it out. The torch everyone goes to is a WeldCraft Or CK WP-9 series (no buttons) and a super flex hose. I know the CK branded hose is considered "super flex" but I'm not sure what they consider the weldcraft branded one.
I called my local welding store and for the ck torch and 12.5" cable it's $55 (miller recommends NOT using a 25' cable) in the first post this guy uses his lathe to make a custom fitting which is needed for $28. Add in some consumables and seems to be a very worthwhile upgrade for around $90-$100.
I should be getting everything by the end of next week so I'll report back and let you guys know how it all goes.
Keep in mind though a WP9 torch and this cable are only rated for 125amps.

About an hour or less to swap the torch and make it all pretty. I'm VERY happy with how it is now.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I just bought my first tig welder its a miller syncrowave 180 to learn how to tig. Do you think its a decent welder? I can mig weld real good but now i want to tig so i can start doing costum work. Thank you in advanced

Where can i get this upgrade?I fab up my front end with what it came with and it was a pain.

Sign up here an pm the first poster on this thread and he will make you a custom fitting
Then buy a wp9 torch or ck9 torch and new cable and consumables. The torch and cable are rated for 125amps only so keep that in mind.

I just bought my first tig welder its a miller syncrowave 180 to learn how to tig. Do you think its a decent welder? I can mig weld real good but now i want to tig so i can start doing costum work. Thank you in advanced

I had the opportunity to use one of these last month and I LOVED it. If I had a 220v in my garage I would own that machine.

I bought a 165 a few years back and now live in a house with no 220v plug in the garage so I haven't been able to continue practicing. I'm not sure if I should sell the 165 and go with the 180 for the dual plug option or just wait until we move out of this rental (or get the home owner's permission to put a 220v plug in the garage - I just don't want to ask and have him say no). If I keep the 165 I'll have to remember these mods.

I love my 180. I don't have a 220 so that was a huge deciding factor. Although you can get a dual voltage Eastwood for like $80.
You can always get a cheater cord if you know how your house is wired.

Sign up here an pm the first poster on this thread and he will make you a custom fitting
Then buy a wp9 torch or ck9 torch and new cable and consumables. The torch and cable are rated for 125amps only so keep that in mind.

I had the opportunity to use one of these last month and I LOVED it. If I had a 220v in my garage I would own that machine.

Thanks gamble for the reply i got lucky i have 220 in my garage. I just got a tank of argon and started to practice and Im starting to get the hang of it :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back