The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Did I overdo the piston end gap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam's GSX

5+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2018
Hohenwald, Tennessee
Hey, I have just finished my end gaps, I was going for 021 and 024-025 ish, shooting for 450whp to 600whp in the far future.
I got 2 ring sets perfect, 1 I over did the bottom ring a little (028)
And the other I over did the bottom ring to 030
Basically asking if I should buy 2 sets new sets, one new set or if they will be fine, thanks guys.
(All top rings are 021)

I'd be ok with it, but for the price of a set of rings, you probably would feel better if you re-did them and had them all the same (take a little more time next time).
There will be conflicting answers, but if you are thinking about 600hp, then you need large end gaps.

Ok, I could widen the others a little to get them closer to the same, like 22 and 28 (and have the one 30)
But it seems that's for larger hp like 600, which I wont be at for a while, would that hinder 450hp? It will still be a daily driver.
And I definitely dont mind the cost, although I did just get fired today ):
I was planning on moving anyway, and the only thing keeping me here us finishing the engine and getting the car running well with it. So I guess shipping time us my biggest concern.
Thanks for the quick response

My ring gaps are pretty large on a few of my engines due to them seeing a lot of cylinder pressure with high boost and NOS.
These sheets are the specs on the 3 last engines I built so you can see where you are in comparison.
The TW1 is the closest to a stock motor.
MW1 is in my 92, and MW2 is in my oldest sons 95 on 44lbs of boost. :)
Marty

Attachments

• Wilson Engine Shop MW1 Spec Sheet 4 FINAL-2019.png
    Wilson Engine Shop MW1 Spec Sheet 4 FINAL-2019.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Wilson Engine Shop MW2 Spec Sheet 3 FINAL-2020 Matts 7 Bolt.png
    Wilson Engine Shop MW2 Spec Sheet 3 FINAL-2020 Matts 7 Bolt.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Wilson Engine Shop TW1 Spec Sheet 3 FINAL-2019.png
    Wilson Engine Shop TW1 Spec Sheet 3 FINAL-2019.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 106
Hmmm, ok, I should probably fill out one of those, and with my situation now, I'll probably stick with these, I might open up the top rings a little, 23-24, and open the bottom rings to around 26-27 area.
Thank you very much

I will send you a blank sheet so you have a list to use if you want.
I suggest you try that big gap ring in all the other bores to see if it is happier anywhere else.
As you can see, all of my gaps didn't end up "perfect" but they are "true" measurements. I don't have any oiling issues (or any issues) with either of the big ring gap engines, in fact, what the hell.....here they both are, side by side. Shifting about 7800 is all, if that. They both turn 9 tho.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here ya go....just print it out and fill in what you know. Then you can reference the data later.

Attachments

• Generic Engine Shop Build Sheet Blank_resized3.jpg
    Generic Engine Shop Build Sheet Blank_resized3.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 110
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back