The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Piston Ring Gap [Merged 5-7] gapping rings pistons end filing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hose101772

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2002
murfreesboro, Tennessee
What are the ring gaps is everyone running?Ran 16 -12 thou on the j&e's with no problems except a touch to much blowby.Im going with wisecos this time and would like to tighten up the rings if possible.The new engine is a 2.4 and im going to be running 20-25 lbs of boost.Any opinions?Thanks.oh is anyone running wisecos?Setup calls for 3thou on piston/cyl clearence.<-ahh dont think so.Thinking 5thou but i would like to hear from those who've had a set.thanks.

0.004 per inch of bore, This is minimum so if you are gonna run high boost I'd up it to 0.006 per inch of bore. So on the stock bore of 3.346 the minimum would be 3.346 x 0.004= 0.013
Now me with anything over 20 psi I run about 0.006 per inch of bore, about 0.020 on the top and 2nd ring. I don't have any blow by, maybe your bore is out of spec, Have it bored and honed with a deck plate, maybe you should try some gapless rings.
Hope this helps.

HaHa, I didn't even read your whole post before I went on replying about the ring gap. I to just built a 2.4L, and also went with Wiseco's. We set the piston to cylinder wall clearance alittle bit under 0.005, I was alittle worried, but my machinist said with the pistons being coated there would be no problems. I sold my BR sheet metal intake so I'm just waiting on the Magnus intake to show up, about another weak or so.
I hope this 2.4 is worth it, my built 2.0 only had 800 miles on it, but I sold it to build a 2.4

Hey guys I got some new ross pistons and the rings must be filed fitted and the end gap I need is .017 and .020 which is pretty small not much filing but I need to know what kind of tool is used to measure this gap so I get it right and where can I get a tool like that from. I went to autozone and they dont rent them so I'll have to buy one I guess.

you use a feeler gauge you can find them at sears i know. I dont imagine auto zone not having one. they were probally talking about not having the filing tool but you can just use a regular file just dont over file them and dont snap them in half them

Can anyone tell me if I can Re ring my 92 tsi with the enging still in the car? Also should you use OEM or ?
Thanks

Well, if you are going to be pulling one piston, you might as well pull them all and inspect your rod bearings. Just be sure not to mix the rod caps up.

Originally posted by leet
Well, if you are going to be pulling one piston, you might as well pull them all and inspect your rod bearings. Just be sure not to mix the rod caps up.

ok thanks, but could that had messed up anything on the head or anywhere else on the block, what else should i look for, or just checking the rods and piston should be good.

No, the block is seperate from the head so it will not affect it. Just remember, when you a pulling all the pistons you are going to have to get new rings, new bearings, and re-hone the block to make sure for a proper seal along with all the other gaskets needed. In other words, don't be cheap and reuse gaskets etc or you'll regret it. You can just get away with replacing the rings on just one piston, but you already have the engine torn apart, you might aswell do them all.

For things to look for are:
- Scored marks on the cylinder wall
- missing hatch marks on the cylinder wall
- broken piston rings
- crushed pistons rings
- damaged landings on the piston
- tapered cylinder walls (out of spec)
- excessive piston rock

Just to name a few.

Originally posted by jrivard00
No, the block is seperate from the head so it will not affect it. Just remember, when you a pulling all the pistons you are going to have to get new rings, new bearings, and re-hone the block to make sure for a proper seal along with all the other gaskets needed. In other words, don't be cheap and reuse gaskets etc or you'll regret it. You can just get away with replacing the rings on just one piston, but you already have the engine torn apart, you might aswell do them all.

For things to look for are:
- Scored marks on the cylinder wall
- missing hatch marks on the cylinder wall
- broken piston rings
- crushed pistons rings
- damaged landings on the piston
- tapered cylinder walls (out of spec)
- excessive piston rock

Just to name a few.

alright cool thanks for the tip, i was not really thinking of doing all of that but i was thinking that if i didn't, i would regret it later so might as well do the whole block again, cool. thanks again

Your head should be fine unless the broken piece managed to get wedged into a valve seat or what not, but that would be IMMEDIATELY obvious had it done so.

The rings recently recived with my wiseco pistons came gapped to large for non-race vehicle.
My engine builder, Josh Jones (conicelli/JNZ Tuning) has been in contact with them and this is how they are gapping thier rings from the factory at this point. He has had little luck dealing with wiseco directly in hopes to find a solution and has come up emptyhanded. Does anyone know of another set of rings that may fit the .20 over wiseco pistons or where I could look in order to find a set? I'm kinda lost... :cry:

Your engine builder should be able to get you another ring set from another manufacure for those pistons. From what I have seen aftermarket piston rings dont come gaped and they are around .010 - .012 out of the box and need to file them per bore. You also may want to contact wiesco and talk to them about it before you go buying another ring set. You maybe able to send them back get another set. You may got the wrong rings??

Wiseco rings actually arent file fit rings. They tend to need to be fitted of coarse in many cases, but its odd theyre such a large gap, how big we talking? josh knows his stuff so u dont need to worry but..

Thank for the input. I'm aware that Josh is a pretty competant guy, he has contacted wiseco on my behalf and they told him that the rings I recieved are they way that they are coming from thier factory now. I'm not really intelligent in this area but one of the ring sets,, either 1st or second, already has an end gap of .022-.024 in which he would be comfortable with a .018-.019 for a street motor. Since they dont make .30 overs he was unable to get a larger set in order to file and has sent me on a quest to find rings that are not pre-gapped to this level that will fit the wiseco pistons.... I'm lost.

anconover said:
Wiseco rings actually arent file fit rings.
I don't follow. Why exactly aren't they file fit rings? How else would you change/adjust the end ring gap? I am curious since I will be doing this to my car not too long from now and I will be running Wiseco's and their rings. :thumb:

Can anyone give me ideas as to other companies who manufacture rings? I know total seal, and hastings (who already let me know they dont have rings to my specs) but I'm not sure where else to check. Thanks.

Childs & Albert make some nice ring sets also speed pro (hell fire type) are great choises . All you need to do is call them up and tell them your ring withs and the type of piston you are using and the bore size. Make sure to ask for file fit.
The rings dimetions should be on the box the pistons came in or the instructions if unsure call wiesco.

i bought a set of total seal piston rings for my stock 4g63t pistons i got a 3mm oil ring and it seems really tight. i cant really move or compress them with my hand. is that right or did i fu*k it up?

thanks in advance, steve

Uh...you're trying to compress the rings by hand? :laugh: Go to your local automotive store and get a ring compressor. Use that and a block of wood to tap your pistons in.

ADrewzki said:
Uh...you're trying to compress the rings by hand? :laugh: Go to your local automotive store and get a ring compressor. Use that and a block of wood to tap your pistons in.

no im not trying to compress the rings by hand to put them in the engine, i have a ring compressor for that. but after i put the 3 piece oil ring in i cant compress it by hand when i can compress all the others.

the oil rings usually have more resistance to bend because they are a three piece design in most engines consisting of 2 rings and an expander whereas most compression rings are solid cast (making them really brittle so careful). make sure the ring grooves clean of all debris and make sure that they are within spec and if the motor rotates freely once the pistons are installed, you should be good. You are re-honing the cylinders right?? please say yes. If i were you, you might as well have gotten new forged pistons with a bumped comp ratio, hell your already gonna be stripping it down to re-ring it....but thats just me :thumb: good luck :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back