The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Did I break My Automatic Transmission Pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webconnect

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 22, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
Hi guys. I recently did my own engine rebuild. It started up fine, however my car wouldn't move and it was buzzing pretty bad.

So, found out that my method of installing the tranny (sucking it up with the bolts) is not the way to do it. HA. Anyways, I took my engine back out and took off the tranny oil pump assembly. However besides two places where it looks like 2 tabs broke off, nothing looks out of the ordinary. I did find the tabs broken off. What do I need to buy?

Hi guys. I have a thread in the auto transmission forum but it is a ghost town over there.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/aut...d-i-break-my-automatic-transmission-pump.html

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,581
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,196
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2,324
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,052
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,493
Last edited by a moderator:
Post a pic with it circled with the tabs you are referring to? From what I see, I don't see anything broken. The casting in your first pic that is in the palm of your hand with the gasket, is the pump. Internal to it, is a the pump gears. The later pic, you show pics of the front clutch.

i had the same problem mine was my pump and TC could be something else for you...i saw this as a time for upgrades...might want to look into rebuilding your trans saves alot of headaches.

Thanks guys.

I figured out that you had to slide that top part off of the oil pump to get to the oil pump (in the 1st pic) :D

Yes my inner oil pump gear is messed up. :notgood:

Anyways, I circled to what I "think" is broken off tabs, although now that I am looking at it, I think it is just the design.

Attachments

• 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 4,931
Those are just casting marks from flash removed or casting runners that were removed before it was machined. Mine look identical.

I hate to bring this back from the dad, but to the OP, did you have the tq converter in the tranny before mounting it to the block? Or did you have the tq converter bolted to the flex plate then tried bolting the tranny to it?

Only reason im asking is because im running into a possible scenario thats the same....but i did witness by friend F his pump up by trying to do the same thing, because he had the tq converter on the flex plate, and all the splines werent lined up when he tried to suck it on with the bolts.

The torque converter goes in the transmission, and it needs to be moved around until it settles in a couple of times if it only settles in once then you're still going to break the pump. the torque converter should be about 3/4" or more inside the lip of the bell housing to mount it up. You'll know when you break the pump because it makes a loud popping noise when it goes. One test of whether or not you're okay is to use a wrench to turn the engine once the bolts are started and if you can get it to move to add the flex plate bolts then you're fine, but if it binds then the torque converter is smooshed in where it shouldn't be and you need to back off to get the TC right.

At least the pump is easy to change if you have a spare transmission laying around.

I just made this same mistake (trying to install my automatic with the torque converter bolted to the block).
I'm going to pull it back apart and install the torque converter into the transmission first.
How do I know if I damaged the Transmission pump?
I'd hate to get it back together and it be messed up.
I have 2 spare transmissions and a spare torque converter for parts if need be.
EDIT* So once I've got it installed properly, I should be able to rotate via the crankshaft and if I hear no "popping" then I'm good to go?

Last edited:
I just made this same mistake (trying to install my automatic with the torque converter bolted to the block).
I'm going to pull it back apart and install the torque converter into the transmission first.
How do I know if I damaged the Transmission pump?
I'd hate to get it back together and it be messed up.
I have 2 spare transmissions and a spare torque converter for parts if need be.
EDIT* So once I've got it installed properly, I should be able to rotate via the crankshaft and if I hear no "popping" then I'm good to go?
The loud popping sound only happens if the torque converter is bolted to the torque plate when you try to bolt the teams to the engine, if you follow the correct procedure posted above then it will all go in correctly and you won't damage the pump or torque converter.

I have already made the mistake of trying to install the transmission with the torque converter bolted to the flex plate.
I got the bolts started and attempted to squeeze the dowel pins.
I noticed something was wrong so I stopped.
Thanks for your fast response, These AUTOs are way more of a pain to install than a 5 speed!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back