1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Damage to my replacement head gasket

Posted by Ces4rDSM, Jun 20, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Ces4rDSM

Ces4rDSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 2, 2019
    watsonville, California
    When installing arps some holes had fluids, ik some holes fornthe studs arensupposed to have oil since they are oil passages, but some fluids seemed to be water of some sort.

My head gasket got a little bruised by my head as i put it on top and then removed it on my own (very heavy), i
    Would it be fine ? They are like little dents and one hole for coolant seemed to be enlarged a little by a side dent within the hole. Just curious.
    Where the cams sit, forgot the name of the whole cavity im doing this on my break at work, there was milky oil due to hg leak, i cleaned best as i could, i was planning on using decent oil to recirculate the milky oil leftover on the linings of the metal. Then at certain miles put a better quality oil.

Street Build 118  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    You will probably need pictures if you want any useful advice. Please post them up and I am sure opinions will come flying at you

Street Build 6K  15

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    DSM_Ant likes this.
  3. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Head gaskets are cheap enough, I would replace it if its deformed in any way at all.

Drag Race Build 2K  16

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. Ces4rDSM

Ces4rDSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 2, 2019
    watsonville, California
    I made these little indentures on it accidently with the head :/

Attached Files:

Street Build 118  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. DogWhistle

DogWhistle Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2012
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Thanks for posting up pictures. As Motto said, head gaskets are cheap enough to be well worth it. In our cars, the head gaskets play a crucial role, and even if it held for a while, it could cause problems later.

It’s hard to have patience for a setback like this, but it pales compared to what your setback could be if it fails.

Drag Race Build 183  3

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    manual · 4G63t Swapped

2K  6

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    385 whp · 378 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  6. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    If you got milky oil in your head from a previous head gasket blow, you might want to consider taking your head to a machine shop to have it cleaned. Your not doing head work per say, so it shouldn't cost too much. Hard to know how bad it really is, if you have a pic that might help.

Street Build 1K  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
  7. Ces4rDSM

Ces4rDSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 2, 2019
    watsonville, California
    I already assembled everything without taking to machine shop to get cleaned. Before i closed i cleaned the head as much as i could to get rid of chocolate goo, wasnt a lot but still causes problems, I also left the hg how it was. Im planning to do a timing belt rebuild along with a good hg. For next time I really need this car running at the moment.

Street Build 118  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM