The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Cylinder head setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowChild3

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
So I have 100,000 mile head. Im building a 2.3. Looking for 500hp+. I basically want to know what I should replace. As far as I know alot of the high dollar head components are to rev high. I do plan to get some cams in it. Depending on what part s I should replace will determine on brand of cams. Will the valves, locks, rollers, and guides be ok to reuse? How do I check the guides?

So I have 100,000 mile head. Im building a 2.3. Looking for 500hp+. I basically want to know what I should replace. As far as I know alot of the high dollar head components are to rev high. I do plan to get some cams in it. Depending on what part s I should replace will determine on brand of cams. Will the valves, locks, rollers, and guides be ok to reuse? How do I check the guides?

All you really need to do is replace the valve seals and resurface the head if your going to an MLS head gasket. Springs and retainers will depend on the cams you choose. To check the guides you need to pull the valves and see if any of the "tips" are cracked. (When I say tips, I mean the part of the valve guide you see after you removed the valve, if your looking at the combustion chamber side into the port). Everything is ok to reuse as long as it's in good working order. Have the head pressure tested also.

I am also building a 2.3 and after reading through many many threads and reading up on different brands and part. I decided to go with kigglies and kelford 272's. I used the ferrea +1 valves with new guides and seals from super tech

Ok. I've read things about valve height or spring height? Need shims to adjust? I can't find much info on how to measure and adjust. Anyone have a link?

So ill get valve job, resurface, springs, retainers, cams, gears, and pressure test. Already planned to get revised lifters. Are the gears worth the gain when doing cam degree?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back