The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Custom Reverse Light Ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

007jimmy

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2012
Levittown, Pennsylvania
I just did some more custom work to my rear 2gb eclipse rear bumper. Its basically the 2gb talon bumps molded to the eclipse bumper. In doing this, i had to remove the stock reverse lights from the eclipse bumper. I wanted to see if there are other lenses/lights from other car makes that could possibly be molded in. I would also like to know where to put them also or even just keep the bumper shaved with no reverse lights at all. Besides who drives backwards all the time?LOL
Any imput would be appreciated. Here is the bumper in question:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I can get better pics in the morning if you want them.

Probably not possible or at least practical but.... Led's or an led strip on the part of the bumper that sticks out on each side. The ridges or whatever you call them.

Buh da bum bum bum! I'm lovin' it!

Edit* Maybe put the reverse lights in the center piece of the tail lights? I would say photoshop it first.
Either cut two circles out with a hole saw and put in two white/clear plastics then led lights, or a rectangle with round edges, fairly long and an led bar behind it!

The only ideas I can think of is putting a white LED strip along the top of the license plate facing outwards, or cutting into the center section and either putting a strip on the top, bottom, or even in the middle. Just ideas of course.

Got another more practical idea. Do the mod so that toucan illuminate where it says "eclipse" and use that as a reverse light!

The only ideas I can think of is putting a white LED strip along the top of the license plate facing outwards, or cutting into the center section and either putting a strip on the top, bottom, or even in the middle. Just ideas of course.

Got another more practical idea. Do the mod so that toucan illuminate where it says "eclipse" and use that as a reverse light!

Damn guys digging the ideas. Maybe i should have posted this thread in the photoshop forum.:hmm: Pictures do wonders for ideas.
I do have plans to paint the center tailight green but have not ruled out lighting up the center piece.
Thank you so far!

You could put white led strips underneath the tail lights, like from bottom corner to corner of the tail light, no molding needed then!

Besides an LED strip somewhere is there a lense off of another make car that might look good?

2 big ass million candle spotlights on either side of the license plate... That way you can see and not run into stuff. It also has the added benefit of being able to blind people behind you at stop lights, just in case you are being chased after by annoying fart can muffler ricers. :D

Seriously though, fiber optics molded into the bump from inside the bumper would look cool. I'd get some fat fibers and a couple LEDs to use as light pumps and put them behind the interior panels.

Do you honestly need your reverse lights. If you are backing up I to a place that you really can't see then you should probably just get out and look instead of just relying on your lights. Just say screw it and leave them off

My car has survived 3 years with no reverse lights after I did the A/T to M/T swap. I do have to say though, it is a PITA when you're trying to leave a parking lot and nobody lets you back out and scary when it's dark out and you're trying back up into a garage.

Take 1g reverse light covers and mold them in, it would look something like this.

attachment.php

:dsm:

^Thats actually pretty freakin cool looking imo!

And to the OP, Im digging the conversion! Please post up the final painted results!

My car has survived 3 years with no reverse lights after I did the A/T to M/T swap. I do have to say though, it is a PITA when you're trying to leave a parking lot and nobody lets you back out and scary when it's dark out and you're trying back up into a garage.

Take 1g reverse light covers and mold them in, it would look something like this.

attachment.php

That was really quick to have modeled that... What did you use to do that image? And how'd you get an accurate 2g model? Is it 3D? ...I need something like that. AutoCAD, Inventor, and Solidworks just don't cut it for doing that, and I know nothing about PhotoChop...

Something else I just noticed. You may be making a mistake I already made... I hope you reinforced the hell out of that bumper where it butts up to the steel if you are covering the gap between them. I thought I had mine stiff enough when I filled it in, but it eventually cracked because of the bumper flex. I used fiberglass too. Unless you've bonded fabric across the gap to the steel and the bumper, any filler you can commonly get will crack in that gap unless you can get the bumper as rigid as the steel next to it... If it moves even a little, it is going to crack.

That was really quick to have modeled that... What did you use to do that image? And how'd you get an accurate 2g model? Is it 3D? ...I need something like that. AutoCAD, Inventor, and Solidworks just don't cut it for doing that, and I know nothing about PhotoChop...
I didn't just model it, I wish. I worked on it a few hours each day for 2 weeks before I came up with the finished product, which was a 2gb rendering of what a Laser "might" have looked like had they not finished producing them. All in PS CS6...

attachment.php

Anyway, back on topic. I still think you should get your hands on a set from a 1g and mold them onto both sides of the plate. If you submit a well lit 800x600 (or close) picture of the rear I can PS them in for you, or anything else for that matter.

ill try and get you that pic gofer. id really like to see some ideas photochoped to get an idea of what may look good.

as for the bumper reinforment I sanded it down to baremetal and then filled the bumper gap with fiberglass resin and then glassed over that. i gave it a few good bangs already to see if it would crack and it didnt. hopefully its strong enough but if not then ill just cut it and leave it unmolded.

I would integrate a set of 1g reverse light in the centerpiece after removing the 'Eclipse' badge. I used Gofer's picture to give you an idea...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back