The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Cruise control delete

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAKE_15

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2012
Bakersfield, California
I'm thinking of doing the cruise control delete for my talon, but I need some clarification.
All I need for this job is a non turbo cruise control cable?
When I install this cable, can I remove the huge box attached to the firewall and the thing that's attached to the passenger strut?
And also, I looked at the picture of the non turbo cruise control cable and it looks just like a turbo one...?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You only need a non-cruise throttle cable. It can be from a 4g63 or 2.4l. The pic you posted will work just fine. When you attempt this, you remove anything attached to the current throttle cable.
  • The cable box on the firewall.
  • The actuator and bracket on the passenger side near the strut mount.
Tape up the connector powering the actuator as you will no loner have anything there to connect to.
The biggest pain of this process is removing the old cable from under the dash, and installing the new one. When installing the new cable, ensure that the throttle plate fully closes and has slight play.

It looks just like a turbo one, except it doesn't have the two boxes on it. It's really as easy as it sounds. As stated, the hardest part is popping it out of the pedal, which isn't even that hard. Just annoying.

Why does everyone delete this besides having a simpler set up ?

You only need a non-cruise throttle cable. It can be from a 4g63 or 2.4l. The pic you posted will work just fine. When you attempt this, you remove anything attached to the current throttle cable.
  • The cable box on the firewall.
  • The actuator and bracket on the passenger side near the strut mount.
Tape up the connector powering the actuator as you will no loner have anything there to connect to.
The biggest pain of this process is removing the old cable from under the dash, and installing the new one. When installing the new cable, ensure that the throttle plate fully closes and has slight play.

So just to be sure if I have a 99 eclipse spyder 4g64 parts car I can just remove the throttle cable from the fire wall and use it??? Obviously we’re not talking about the cruise control throttle cable I’m talking about the cable coming from the firewall connected to pedal? If so what is the difference between the two.?

Never mind non cruise control but all these are discontinued do we just get creative with the one coming off the firewall then?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently wondering the same. In the past we just ordered part MB948632. The older these cars get the harder it is to just order parts. How much would it take to produce some more. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would happily buy a couple to have around as backups.
So just to be sure if I have a 99 eclipse spyder 4g64 parts car I can just remove the throttle cable from the fire wall and use it??? Obviously we’re not talking about the cruise control throttle cable I’m talking about the cable coming from the firewall connected to pedal? If so what is the difference between the two.?

Never mind non cruise control but all these are discontinued do we just get creative with the one coming off the firewall then?

I'm currently wondering the same. In the past we just ordered part MB948632. The older these cars get the harder it is to just order parts. How much would it take to produce some more. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would happily buy a couple to have around as backups.
Just use a pioneer c-8919 cable

No, I have 2 spare 1g original non-cruise cables and 1 2g still but that is the only option so I looked up the application, and they fit Galants, and will work for the DSMs.

Looking that part up at a parts store, it is 2" longer than a non-cruise 1g DSM cable.

So how much better is the throttle control with the cruise delete? I have a 90 w/cruise, with the two cables being unobtainium even by dsm standards. I have seen non-cruise throttle cable available, and I should probably get one just to have in case they stop selling those. I do like cruise, especially since it was sort of a premium item back in 1990. But I also like good throttle feel. Is it really worth it?

Just pull the fuse and keep everything in place you never know when you might want it back

Sure, that would make the cruise stip working, but so would removing the little rubber bumper on the clutch pedal (or just not turning it on, for that matter). What I’m asking, really, is what is the motivation or benefit of having only the one cable direct from gas pedal to TB, compared to two cables and the extra cruise pulley? (Besides the obvious answer of “more direct” or “fewer moving parts”, etc,). Not trying to hijack the post for a 90 cc.
Does it feel better or more precise, or something else? Why will the driver prefer it?

I took the cruise off of the 92 Talon (when it quit working) and the touch to the throttle IS right there when you touch the pedal, no lag of turnbuckles and another cable. That is my only experience as my other cars were built w/o cruise when I did them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back