The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Crank Sprocket Nut / Balance Shaft Belt (Sorry, another thread)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFC_CiarlilloM

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2011
Euclid, Ohio
1996 Eclipse GSX (Auto)
*Engine in the bay*

Okay, so yet another thread on this. I am trying to install my new balance shaft belt, and I can't get it around the backing plate of the crank sprocket. I had to cut the old one to get it off. I can't seem to get the crank sprocket nut off either. It's starting to frustrate me. I guess I am asking for tips, tricks, or advice.

First, I tried to remove, and install the balance shaft belt around the backing plate, but I had no such luck. Do I have to remove the crank sensor?

I also tried re-installing the old timing belt, tension it, put the cam sprocket holder in, and try to loosen the nut, but the timing just started to skip teeth.

I also tried hitting it with an impact gun, but my measly 2.5HP/26 gallon/4.8 SCFM tank doesn't put out enough to run any type of gun full strength.

I spent all of today trying to make the custom tool to take it off, but the material I used started flexing on me. I am not sure how as It was nearly impossible to drill through. What did you guys use for this?

I was thinking of removing the crank sensor, and attempting to pry the plate a little bit, but I know the slightest bend will most likely end up causing the plate to eat my belt.

Lastly, what is the bare minimum required for me to be able to bump my starter with the breaker bar between the axle/suspension? I'd rather do this than try block the actual crank itself with a piece of wood, etc.

Ughhhh!!! Just one stupid nut/belt is holding me up from my first ever head gasket/timing belt/60k maintenance job!!

Last edited:
Dude, I went through the samething. Get a impact gun to take that nut off, and buy a new backplate. Bent backplate = slowly deteriorating the balance belt. Not even a breaker bar did it, borrow a impact gun and compressor.

You don't have to bend the plate to get the crank sensor off. just rotate the crank. You can also get the balance belt on without removing anything. Remove the crank sensor. If you absolutely have to get the crank bolt off that compressor should do it if it has enough pressure. Impact gun doesn't use enough air short term. Good gun is better. Use a socket, not the hole in the middle and do not use any sort of extension. If you were previously using an extension take it off first. If that doesn't do it try the socket. Dunno why but you seem to get more torque that way. I've got a good impact so it doesn't matter to me. Not sure what you have.

@Twinturbo120- It is seriously, hands down, the most frustrating thing I have encountered w/ my car so far. I figured that a cheap 4 CFM 230 ft-lbs @ 90 psi impact gun would get the sprocket off since it's suppose to be torqued around 85 ft-lbs. Apparently, 16 years adds on atleast 200 more ft-lbs LOL.

@pauleyman- I didn't mean bend the plate to get the crank sensor off, but pry the plate a little to get the belt to slide behind it. I am going to remove the crank sensor, and try sliding the belt on that way. The sensor didn't seem to take up that much more space when I glanced at it. I can just install it by bolting back in, correct? What I mean by that is not calibrating it, or anything of that matter. I thought my air compressor/impact gun would have gotten the job done, but I guess not.

I guess I was wrong about my compressor specs...

Air Compressor specs; Impact Gun specs;
1.5HP/26 Gallon 50-200 FT/LBS (Working Torque)
4.0 SCFM @ 90PSI 230 FT/LBS (Max Torque)
Max 150PSI 4 CFM @ 90PSI

* I had my air compressor set at 130 PSI w/ the torque set on the highest it would go, but still had no luck. *

No need to calibrate anything. You do not need to bend or even pry on the plate to get the belt past it.
Is this a cheap gun? Doesn't really matter as you don't need it. I had a cheap CH gun and threw it in the trash when I got a good one.

Put the socket and breaker bar on the bolt. Wedge the bar against the frame. Bump the key to engage the starter for a second. Done.

Put the socket and breaker bar on the bolt. Wedge the bar against the frame. Bump the key to engage the starter for a second. Done.

This is the way to do it if you have the timing belt on the engine. It works the first time every time. He would have to reinstall the timing belt or remove the cams so that the valves aren't open.

How do you retighten the bolt after removal? When the crank spins? How do you keep the crank from spinning while you tighten the bolt?

How do you retighten the bolt after removal? When the crank spins? How do you keep the crank from spinning while you tighten the bolt?

IF you have a manual you can put the trans in 5th gear and have someone hold the brakes. If you have an auto you can just hold the flex plate with a pry bar.

Okay so after taking off the crank sensor, and carefully finger ####ing the sprocket/belt, I was able to get the belt on. I am relieved, but also a little frustrated that I didn't just do this earlier. Anyways, how do these timing marks look? I tried to get the best head on angles.

Also quick question, should the two holes in the tensioner pulley be at 6 & 4 before, or after putting tension on the pulley? This seems to be the only thing holding me up at the moment.

I have been going off of this as a guide;
How to: Put Your 4g63 In Time - Team-2G Mitsubishi Forum

Last edited:
This is the way to do it if you have the timing belt on the engine. It works the first time every time. He would have to reinstall the timing belt or remove the cams so that the valves aren't open.

What if you turn the key and the battery doesn't have enuff juice to break the bolt free? I get in my car and turn the key and its like nothing happens. LOL I hear the starter try but its like its stuck. And its not my starter cause I can take the breaker bar off and the starter will work. Lmao do I need to throw my charger too the battery?

What if you turn the key and the battery doesn't have enuff juice to break the bolt free? I get in my car and turn the key and its like nothing happens. LOL I hear the starter try but its like its stuck. And its not my starter cause I can take the breaker bar off and the starter will work. Lmao do I need to throw my charger too the battery?

Yes charge the battery.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back